Okay this topic has probably been covered fully but as a new cafe owner I have very little time to search the site (it's 5:30 am and I'm just getting ready to go in - can anyone identify lol)!?

We're opening in a week and I was hoping to subscribe to a service. I didn't like what sirius or xm offered. yahoo.ca has a great coffeehouse radio station, but I've had problems receiving it consistently.

Can anybody help me???

Thanks!
Donna

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

That's probably because SOCAN, the "music police" in Canada, aren't as aggressive as ASCAP and BMI are in the U.S. Just Google them: you'll see them suing small businesses for copyright infringement right and left and getting huge judgments.
You're close but a little too broad with that statement. We have a simple tool available to help determine if the exemption applies:

http://www.siriusforbusiness.com/royalties.php

John Owens said:
Janice:

You are partially correct. Most restaurateurs are required by the Copyright Act to pay performance-related organizations for license agreements for the privilege to play music. However, restaurants under 3,750 gross square feet are exempt from paying royalties on radio and television music only (Public Law No. 105-298, which amended 17 U.S.C. 110(5).).

NOTICE, this ONLY applies to radio and TV music. If you'd like to play your CDs or use your iPod, you are required to pay licensing fees.

Janice said:
Actually, I am pretty sure that any type of retail establishment under 3750 square feet doesn't have to worry about paying out licensing fees. Its called the "Fairness in Music Licensing Act". Basically, you can play songs off your Ipod and its not breaking any law.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service