As is probably pretty obvious from my profile, I'm a PhD student doing research into the coffee industry - particularly the concept of wastage in the industry, and the links between quality and waste. I'm at the University of Sheffield here in the UK.

What are you studying?

Views: 212

Replies to This Discussion

not studing but just started working for a plantation in sumatra ask me questions any help I can give
our plantatioon is currently trying to get all the local growers to stop clearing anything to help a better way
From news report, I learnt that the most or all coffee trees in sumatra are forbidden to harvest for coffee beans. Is that true, or any mis-understanding?

I would confirm that the mandheling was from there, but nowadays, whether it is still available or not? I really want to know it.
In my humble opinion, the coffee industry do not have good knowledge of espresso, maybe neither coffee. Concerning about the research, it might be found something about the marketing, the conmmercial respects and so on, but not coffee itself and its brewing theory.

I do hope to see from your investigation and work, to let me know something different. But, about the chemical analysis of coffee and espresso, I do not really believe that it works, at least in todays' stage.
I am working on blending processes and how to combine end product (espresso) knowledge
to growing coffee fermentations and dry processes green cherry red cherry I am working with a plantation and roasting and baristaring (ha ha spelling) so I talk and visit the growers roaster and barista myself and experment I am of the mind blending is pointless if you knw what your doing and have controll balance is there just the education process for me and them .
sned me some questions and i will put it to the crew and compile some thing for you know issue
shreing info only spelling ha ha
www.kopiluwak.com.au will answer your questions any other info mail me happy to help +61410700581 or direct kamal@mandailingestate.com.au our plantation was from the original dutch growth you'll see

happy days
kamal
Thank you so much for your info.
thats ok the new raost is relly good we are getting there slowly and the latest cupping photos on rainlloyd
I strongly disagree. As industry professionals, we stirve to know more aobut our coffees and how to improve them. We pursue coffee education on all levels, including Producer to Roaster, Roaster to Barista and Barista to Customer (and many other in-between.) The resources are out there, you just have to ask the right questions.

It is my opinion that the information is out there and we just need to all get together and sip ristrettos all night and battle out theories. This website, although fairly young, is a greeeat place to do so.

On a side note...anyone out there working on a grinder that makes more sense to the specialty coffee market here in the States?
Education is good and necessary all the time. What I meant is that the info and results from analytical chemistry for organic materials can hardly be useful, helopful. Those reseach work is doing, but far from applicable, till now.

For components analysis, there is one thing can be done. That is to make some kind of GC or similar analysis about drip coffee and espresso to see some differences.

That can be nice.
Hi Bel, my name is Nicki and I'm a doctoral candidate in sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, in the US. I'm studying the marketing of socially responsible/ethical coffee, and have just recently joined this site. Just wanted to say hello!
Hi, it is nice. It is really not an easy thing to do. I would like to hear from your work from time to time.
hey Nicki

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service