At the end of a great meal, I often want an espresso as a final ending. However, most espresso's in restaurants are what I consider "OGQ: Olive Garden Quality" a hot bown liquid with little to no crema and a burnt astringent character.

What be a pirate to do? Should I not order the espresso that will most likely dissappoint me? Offer to make the drink myself, or drown my sorrows in milk and ask for a cappuccino?

What would you do?

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

Here be a solution. Order it. If it tastes like octopus ink, do not finish it and tell the waitress that you thought it tasted fowl, and that you wish not to be charged for it. Personally, I hate being that customer because I deal with so many in retail, but when you're being charged 2 or more gold pieces for a shot of espresso, I think you have the right to refuse payment.
I have on occasion asked about the coffee supplier and equipment used, before deciding if I wanted to order an espresso or not. I unfortunatly also employ coffee snobbery at times, and request that the espresso is made at the last moment and served immediately. When asked if i enjoyed the coffee I am polite and honest, specifially when I do not care for the drink.

Why oh why can't we find a restaurant that exceeds our expectations for good espresso and coffee?
Why not just head to your friendly neighborhood shop for a nightcap instead? They'll be properly equipped, trained, have good inventory turnover, and you won't be the only one in the joint to order one. Espresso machines in restaurants just don't make any sense to me.

As far as drip, I did visit a restaurant in Aruba the used a vac pot tableside. The house drip was mighty fine as well. My expectations were definitely exceeded.
I agree. Really 100% agree, as my intention is always to partake in the local culture. However moving from dinner to a coffee bar is not always possible, based on the city that may be in and whom I am entertaining.

It's akin to ordering steak at a seafood house, determine that the restaurant is good at, and order their specialty.....
Here we go, I was just asked to bus at a four diamond restaurant and they have a Astoria espresso machine and Starbucks coffee. This is my only chance right now to make quality coffee. I plan on doing what I can when I can. the first step is to even out the spouts on the portafilters, so that I can pull a consistent shot. if anyone knows how to adjust the spouts on the portafilters. please let me know so that I may help this four diamond restaurant, bring there coffee to a four diamond level
I noticed a lot of places are using the super automatic espresso machines. If I don,t see portafilters and an espresso grinder next to the machine, I don't order espresso. I believe a good barista needs to know dosing, tamping, and how to set grind settings.
Eli Kalen said:
the first step is to even out the spouts on the portafilters, so that I can pull a consistent shot. if anyone knows how to adjust the spouts on the portafilters. please let me know so that I may help this four diamond restaurant, bring there coffee to a four diamond level

Well, if they're stock Astoria PF's, the way to even them out is to level the machine with the four adjustable feet. Put your level on the surface beneath the machine, and screw the foot on the highest portion of that surface all the way in. Then screw the foot opposite, front to back, out until that side reads level. Go to the foot a ninety degrees from that, and level that edge. The last remaining foot should just screw down until the machine no longer rocks.
But leveling the machine is just a first baby step on the road to 'Four Diamond' espresso.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service