What do you like best about cigars? The flavor? the aroma? and social aspects?,,,,,,

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

The ritual. Clipping the cigar. The "anything goes" discussion in the cigar lounge. The heady aroma of opening the humidor. I love considering the terrior (sp?) of where this smoke came from. I love the gamble in cigars and in espresso of when the stars align and you are blown away by a totally new sensation. Talking to my tobacconist and landing on my smoke. You cannot rush a cigar.

I dislike coffee and cigars purchased for me at airports. "Hey Andrew I got you some Genuine Jamaican Blue
Mountain Coffee, the bag was dripping oil so I knew it must be good. I popped it in the freezer with the Cohibas I bought for you a couple years ago."
The flavor and aroma are very important, but since my humidor is stocked (at least partially) with cigars that are ones that I am already familiar with and enjoy for their flavor and aroma, the social and ritualistic aspects of the smoke take center stage most of the time. As a coffee shop owner I don't get a lot of time off (really just one and sometimes two evenings a week) and so it is during those free nights that I like to take advantage of a good cigar if possible. The ritual of cutting, lighting, experiencing the cigar is a most relaxing activity and the process of enjoying a cigar practically forces you to slow down and reflect. It's a great rejuvenator after a long, tiring week.

I love to smoke outside, sitting at our backyard fire-pit with a drink (microbrew, cocktail or coffee) but unfortunately that's a bit tough to do as comfortably this time of year in Wisconsin as it is during the warmer months. I don't like to smoke cigars in the house, for the sake of the rest of the family, so try to get out for a drive or take a walk through the park now and then just so I can have a good cigar at least once a week during winter.
I sometimes think my only exercise/breathoffreshair is when I take a walk and a cigar. The weather just warmed up enough to enjoy an outdoor smoke again.
I like smoking mine indoors better. Too much smoke is lost outside. Good friends, good smokes, good drinks (Wee Willy Scotch Ale @ McCoy's Public Brew House in Westport) and some interesting conversation.

Although I really like them, I'm still pretty new in the cigar arena. I wish I had the chance to have more of them. I enjoy them best with friends and it's hard to get them together in order to "burn one" together.

Is it wrong to enjoy blowing smoke rings?
Out here in California smoking has become one of the seven deadly sins!
Those of us who do enjoy a good cigar complemented with ANY fine beverage have been corralled to the out-door patios. Now, however, here in Chula Vista, smokers must enjoy their activities at least 20 or so feet from the door of any cafe, resaurant and even local bars... that said, I have surely become a rebel WITH a cause.
I must agree with Andrew about the ritual. I was the first thought I had after reading the questions. In fact I think that for the most part, my favorite activities (& vices) involve some kind of ritual... the quest for perfect espresso, clipping, dipping and smoking a great cigar, composing music, savoring exceptional liquors in the perfect glass, reading, biking. I think, to find the ritual... your ritual, in something you love is part of truely enjoying it and when you find someone else who really enjoys the same... you share the ritual.
The flavors of both coffee and cigars are really outstanding... in fact, sometimes one has saved me from the other... a great cigar makes up for a not so great pull of espresso... ever happened to you guys?
My two favorate pairings as of late have been:
R&J Vintage II / Remy Martin VSOP (black btl) in French Pressed Calabria (local roaster)
Rocky Patel Toro Corojo / 10 Cane Rum Dbl Espresso (3oz total)
The ritual, yes...the calming ritual. I am curious to try your Rocky Patel Toro Corojo /10 Cane Rum Dbl Espresso pairing, Alex...will post my impressions when I do. Thanks for the two pairing suggestions...always eager to try someone else's favorites as well. Best of luck with your mission ("rebel with a cause").
I definitely agree with all of the "love of the ritual" comments. It is funny how many things I especially enjoy are full of ritual. I am also just turning 19, and so I still know very little about cigars. One good pairing I have had the pleasure of experiencing was a Rocky Pattel Edge Toro with a French Press of a Sumatra from my local roaster. Great experience.
Rocky Pattel Edge in general, are great smokes. Good choice Tyler!

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service