I am a potter and have had the idea for a while of making travel mugs that will fit a plastic or metal travel lid. However, while I admit I have not exhausted the possibilities, I haven't been able to find a reliable source for just the lid. Does anyone know of a place that would? I am willling to buy in bulk!

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Taylor,
I know that the cheap slip-over tops are available from most disposable cup sellers. A quality cup top such as you are suggesting would be hard to find. Most of the double wall metal cups come from off shore and you would need a Chinese entrepreneur to help out.
I would suggest that you become familiar with "O"rings and "V"seals which would be a very good start as they would be available in a food grade material and high quantity at about $0.50 each.
You might consider a porcelain body as it would have enough strength in thin section to function as a top with a groove around it for the "O"ring seal. That would, of course, require a refinement of throwing/slip casting and scraping processes to get the parts to be within a very small tolerance zone. What kiln firing would do to the dimensions is problematical. Then with the glaze firing all bets are off.
It can be done, the Asians do it but I think that the work involved would be immense.
Thank you, Richard. The more research I do the better off I think I am trying to make a lid myself as you say. I am familiar with rubber seals, but you are correct, the work is daunting.
Taylor,

My wife works for a company that sells custom mugs, and I am sure she able to get in contact with the mug manufacturer. Her name is Gretchen and her email is gretchen@customimpressionsusa.com

Good Luck!

Joshua

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service