What part of training do you most look forward to? This is your soap box. You could spend all day on this subject, and you are expert at it! This is your nitch in teaching. Your passion shows...

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

I really like talking about coffee. Most new barista's have no idea where coffee comes from, how it is processed, shipped, roasted, etc. There are so many steps that happen before the barista ever sees the coffee and I think it is very important for barista's to know about them. Its all about coffee anyway right.
I recently added a cupping to our first day of training. So far the response has been amazing. Other than that, the combination of espresso extraction and all it's details, as well as basic milk steaming bar skills included!!! Those are my favorites to train!

Of course latte art... The more I teach it, the more I learn!
I love teaching latte art. It's so rewarding when people see something they've never seen before and suddenly realize that being a barista can be more than just a paycheck.
I agree latte art is fun to teach and realize, but I have had a lot of bad tasting great looking drinks. I don't teach latte art until I know the barista is really good at pulling shots. Its all about coffee.

Lita Lopez said:
I love teaching latte art. It's so rewarding when people see something they've never seen before and suddenly realize that being a barista can be more than just a paycheck.
Yes, latte art is the last part of the training. Of course the coffee should come first! I seem to hear this a lot lately, "bad tasting great looking drinks", and it kinda bugs me. I've always felt that the best looking drinks will be a testament to the care and quality that has gone into the drink as a whole - the better the crema, the better the flavor, the better the color and contrast. The better the milk, the sweeter the drink, the crisper and clearer the design. The idea of a good tasting drink and a good looking drink should go hand in hand, not be mutually exclusive. Put a bad tasting good looking drink next to a great tasting great looking drink and I'll bet you'll SEE the difference as well. Even if the shape of the design is identical on both, the color, contrast and nuance of the better tasting drink will be MORE beautiful and more apparent.
I teach coffee only. About the theory, low educated people can hardly understand and they pay almost only attention to the brewing skills. But, those high educated people are interested in the talk about world market and industry, and our theory.

When comes to the hand-on skill, they are all interested. Coffee, always coffee.

Latte art, we do not teach. We teach frothing and pouring milk, in the way of latte art. I do not let them do latte art before they can make good espresso and cappuccino. In fact, before they finish 15 days of training, none of them can be exactly sure they can make them very well. So, they can hardly be allowed to make latte art. But, after they go to work, they can do by them selves. I take care of only coffee. No latte art, no milk tea, no cake, nothing else.
I love teaching young bloods who don't know anything about coffee (grown, processed, roasted, proper brewing, etc.)- it's like falling in love all over again!!!

Next....espresso bar!!! AHHHHHHH, LaMarzocco, we meet again! ;)
About this problem, I do believe that, it much depends on what the training required. But normally in a store, people and the machines are busy in working hours, it doesn't allow the training.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service