I would love to hear from those of you that train on-the-spot/ in-store, as well as from those who train seperate from a customer base/ in store. The pro's and con's from each side as you see it and... What would your wish list be for a training center or efficiency for training at your espresso bar? Any insight? Thanks!

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

You read my mind. This has been a question I have been trying to solve. Right now I do some of both, in store and out of store. I see pros and cons in each.

I love off-site because there are less distractions and we don't get in people's way. I don't like off-site because it's hard to get real-life situations.

I like on-site because you get real-life situations and the newbies get oriented to their surrounding faster. I don't like on site because it turns into a LOT of people behind the counter so we are in the way and it distracts the baristas who are working behind the counter.

So here's how my training program works right now:
Day 1: Orientation (off-site) - employee handbook, paperwork, roastery tour, Espresso 101, guest service training
Day 2: In-store - train on everything except cash register and espresso machine
Day 3: In-store - cash register, guest service

After the inital 3 days, the newbies spend 1-2 days shadowing another person. After that, they work full shifts on the schedule.

After about 3-4 weeks, I bring them back in for more in-depth coffee knowledge training. This is done off-site at our roastery. For this training, we watch a portion of the Passionate Harvest video to go over the processing process. There is also training on growing regions, a hands-on roasting demo and cupping.

After another 2-3 weeks, we bring them back to the roastery for barista training. This includes both classroom and hands-on training on espresso, milk, and drink-building.

After this training they are allowed to work on the espresso machine with supervision of a certified barista. After about 2 weeks they can take the certification tests.

So in conclusion...I do both in-store and off-site training depending on what I am training on. Great topic Shiloh, thanks for posting it. I would also like to hear other people's ideas on this topic.
Thanks for the reply Colleen.

At the moment we train smaller numbers behind the bar. (Preferably under 2.) Still it can be hard to get a word/ concept in during the busier hours.

There seems to be more comfort to connect with our guests when the barista's train in store. I find that when we train off store location it takes longer for a barista to become comfortable in their store's surroundings, they seem to have to learn the system of where to be, and how to multitask all over again. Do you find this?

We are a franchise, so part of my job is to train new store's, the number of barista's attending can ranging from 5-20 people at a time. I want everyone to get ample time on bar, so one machine is out of the question, waiting around can get boring. If I were to train a group larger than 5 all at once... the training barista's lose focus So typically I have everyone broken up into groups learning different sections of the training simultaneously. (This is why I want a couple machines in one room!)

Any suggestions on layout of a training center? Set up choices:
a.) multiple machines around edge of room (barista's back to the center of the room - seating/ tables in the center of the room)
b.) 2-4 machine boothes, total 360 degree room around each booth - all facing front of room with a projector screen or
c.) a bar set up identicle to your coffee bar, with an extra foot of breathing room between counters for extra bodies... cupboards, point of sales, menu, the whole package...

Any other extra's that would be nice to have in a training center?

I welcome your input, suggestions, and ideas! Thank you!
Hi There!
I'm new on this site and one of my objectives here is to keep in touch with those that have the same activity than me.
I'm have a very interesting experience trainning people in store, but I can't wait the moment my the training center get ready!
The few words of Colleen has helped me to find a way to solve a question that was in my mind: the way we shoul develop the knowledge and practice of the new staff member.
I'm the responsable to train the new coffee shops and I will have to write down a training program and support material for some new franchise owner.
Shiloh, your comments are great, and the question that started this discussion was a great idea!
My training program spends 10 days of theorical and practical classes and most of times I had the luck of use a closed store, but actually, for those stores already opened the training is being very difficult, confuse and with a weak result.
Thanks for hearing me! lol And hope to hear from you soon.
Rodrigo, Thank you for your input! In store seems to take a little bit more attention in some respects. I like to think of myself with a tether to the new/ training Barista. Talk about the how's but more importantly the why's! I think we have "rewritten" our training manual and all of it's supporting tools to many times to count. We are always looking for continual improvement within. Again thank you for sharing! I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Rodrigo Romani said:
Hi There!
I'm new on this site and one of my objectives here is to keep in touch with those that have the same activity than me.
I'm have a very interesting experience trainning people in store, but I can't wait the moment my the training center get ready!
The few words of Colleen has helped me to find a way to solve a question that was in my mind: the way we shoul develop the knowledge and practice of the new staff member.
I'm the responsable to train the new coffee shops and I will have to write down a training program and support material for some new franchise owner.
Shiloh, your comments are great, and the question that started this discussion was a great idea!
My training program spends 10 days of theorical and practical classes and most of times I had the luck of use a closed store, but actually, for those stores already opened the training is being very difficult, confuse and with a weak result.
Thanks for hearing me! lol And hope to hear from you soon.
I think there are pros and cons to both. I teach mainly in a training center. It's nice because you don't have any interruptions. That being said teaching in a store is good because you do have interruptions, its more real world. Honestly I think its best to start a barista in a training center and as they learn the basics move on to the store.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service