Okay you have an aspiring barista all ready and anxious to start making espresso beverages. Where do you start? Bean education? Machine basics? Grinder basics? Pulling shots? Steaming? I've been working on writing a basic training manual for new baristas. Sadly I have had little interaction outside of my small bubble with the coffee community so I am curious on other peoples views/methods on this topic.

Views: 64

Replies to This Discussion

I generally start with (the company you work for) coffee belief system, i.e. some companies believe that nitrogen flushing bags is the way to go, some don't. Some people believe that a coffee is old after 10 days, to others 21 days is old. I generally start people out with a 'world view of coffee' according to your companies philosophy. (p.s. then I familiarize them with the layout of the space they will be working in, then move on to cleaning.... everything else after that is up for grabs.)

Ryan
Bean Education!!!! With out coffee then it's just milk and syrup.
I like to start with coffee. what it is? where it grows? pictures of a coffee tree/bush with ripe cherries and then the unroasted beans / the roasted beans. ideally a cupping after that along with a story of the journey the coffee has made and how important it is being the roaster and barista to do justice for all the time, effort and people invested in the coffee up to this point. i have been a barista for a long time, but not until recently have i started to delve into the story behind every cup. It is a great way to build up moral and pride as well as edjucate. of course that is ideal. in the practice you usually don't have much time and you need that person on the bar last week. but the story of coffee and cupping I think are something not to be neglected and when you have time you should build it into the training.
Im also having this problem. Where to start. My problem is that my introduction course is only three days long. Id love to teach my baristas everything I know, but there just isnt enough time. I have desided to Keep the course very practical and minimize the theory to about an hour a day. Most of the theory is based on espresso and Station management. Farming, Processing and roasting is only touched on in small detail. My idea is to get the baristas confident in their espresso machine skills Before flooding their minds with other knowledge. In the three days I need to make sure the baristas are up to a certain standard in terms of espresso and cappucino making.
Getting the immediate basics in is the most important I believe. Being able to throw in theory and background (farming, processing etc.) is important but like you say, getting to know and be comfortable with the machine in front of them is important. Throwing in theory and background during training to help peak interest is important and those who pursue questions when you throw in those tidbits are the ones you know are probably the most passionate about what they are doing. The ones who rolls their eyes at you when you get excited about it are probably the ones you don't want behind the counter - unless like in my case they are rolling their eyes at my lame jokes >./body>
definitely start with bean education. Then roasting, shot pulling, milk steaming, manual brew methods and then finally latte art. Don't teach them latte art first, you need to stress that it's the last thing they should worry about
well put : )

Ryan Palmer said:
I generally start with (the company you work for) coffee belief system, i.e. some companies believe that nitrogen flushing bags is the way to go, some don't. Some people believe that a coffee is old after 10 days, to others 21 days is old. I generally start people out with a 'world view of coffee' according to your companies philosophy. (p.s. then I familiarize them with the layout of the space they will be working in, then move on to cleaning.... everything else after that is up for grabs.)

Ryan

For me, everything is for the shot, and the drip coffee.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service