I know allot of people out there are gonna geek on this, but oh well...
Who gets more out of latte art, the customer or the barista?

my experience sadly has been it's the barista, I've talked to many a fine customer who could care less... and you've never seen a redder face than when I was made to WAIT, while a barista took a picture of a pretty lame flower she'd made...

Personally I could care less about pretty coffee, if it's great...and if it's bad coffee than how the heck is a pretty rosetta gonna save it...

what do you think?

Views: 133

Replies to This Discussion

I think it goes both ways. To me, latte art is something more than a nice looking drink. Latte art is useful because it forces the crema to the top of the drink which enables the drinker to get some espresso in each sip. How many times have you gone to a coffee shop and the foam is just dumped on the top with no sign that there is even any espresso in the cup? Latte art assures the customer that they are getting a quality drink and something that is nice to look at.

yay :-)
I think it's a both and...

It keeps me and some of my fellow coworkers coming back to work every day to pour some of the killers but it also pleases some of the customers. Do all or even most of them care...probally not...
but there are a select few who come back and have become regulars due to the art on the drink. They like it and it has become our signature and sign of a high quality drink.
I think it's worth it even if it locks in 1 or 2 more regulars.
I also think its both.

I have had some customers get stoked about some stuff I've poured, with them taking pictures and everything and me knowing that that was one of the worst rosettas I have ever poured. It has also been customers that have given me encouragement in my latte art when my pours are just off. I definitely agree with Lauren too in the fact that our customers do realize they are getting something special because of the effort we put into making a drink that not only tastes great but looks great. Irregardless of the fact that we might even put a lid on it.

Bring on the latte art!

I feel like the others do about this one. I have a lot of customers that tell me they bring their friends to my shop just for the latte art. I also get people expressing disappointment when they don't get latte art. I know my baristas and I totally geek out about it, but I think it is fairly mutual.
I think that latte art is, above all else, a sign that the milk was steamed properly. If the milk is bubbly or clumpy, well, I don't want to drink it any more than I want to look at it.

So when I get good milk without art (I'm speaking rhetorically; art is pretty much standard at any respectable joint in this town) I wonder, "Why not?" It takes almost no more time. When I go to a decent restaurant I expect the food to be arranged nicely on my plate and I expect the same from my barista.
I agree, if you steam it right then all you have to do is jiggle your pitcher a little as you pour. It is simple after you learn to tame the milk. Remember it is art and art is in the eye of the beholder.
I think it's more for the barista till they can inform the public it really does nothing for the taste of the drink (except that we taste with our eyes first), but it does prove that everything was done correctly in order for the art to turn out. In concentrating on turning out great latte art, it forces one to really pay attention to the texturing of their milk, which then turns out great drinks.

I love to take pictures of the art I produce. The problem was on the day I could NOT pour a bad rosetta to save my life, we were too busy for me to stop and take a picture. And I think that is the key to not tick off people waiting for their drink. You have to get a feel for how much in a hurry they and the people behind them are for their drink. If in a hurry, pour something nice and quick, if not, then maybe take a bit more time and make something really neat, and I've realized that some of the best looking 'free-pour' art doesn't take a significant amount more time than 'just pouring in the milk'. Etching can take more time, but with a couple insertions of a thermometer, voila! a dragon appeared. Or like one today, I was attempting a "Swan" when I was done, there was a beautiful peacock with the feathers spread open. It even had a small dot for the eye that I didn't put in with a skewer. I'll post that when I remember to bring my camera home.

I saw one customer take his drink to the table and then reach in their bag and pull out a camera before they took a drink. That type of thing makes me feel good.
I think if the customers gets a latte art in every cup consistently, it tells them 3 things: 1) The coffee was made properly. 2) The Barista has been having a lot of practice 3) the cafe could be a very busy cafe. On the whole, it gives a certain assurance to the customer that the coffee should be alright. Most of all, there was a lot passion that went into the coffee....: )
Great coffee doesn't need to be a 15oz Davinci, but it is a bit of fun that many customers appreciate. Though getting your Polaroid out while the cappuccino gets cold is a big no no.

Les
www.in-arcadia.com
I think it benefits the owner, and here's my reasoning...

First, if a place pays attention to the level of detail it takes to do latte art, there's a good chance that they are at least attempting to make good lattes. At a place with no latte art, there's less indication that they have any clue what they are doing. This isn't a 100% corresponding, but you get the idea. Also if the components of the latte are done well enough to enable someone to do decent latte art, there's a good chance they have made a good latte.

Secondly, I think it gives the baristas a level of pride in their work that allows independent shops to hold on to them better.

Third, I think it simply impresses many customers. If the barista is also personably, and can tailor some of the art to the customer, all the more so.

Just my thoughts.
I think it mostly benefits the barista. Latte art is one of the things, I think, that sets us locally owned coffee peeps apart from the "other guys".
Some customers appreciate a great piece of art on their latte and some don't really care. The ones that do appreciate it are worth it to me.
Latte art is also a great way to build up your skills. Properly steamed milk can completely change the flavor of the drink.
I agree with you that cup quality is more important, but how many crappy milk drinks have you gotten with a beautiful rosie on top? Normally if you get a rosetta, you can figure that it's going to be a pretty great drink. So for me, it's almost a sign of, "You can trust this drink."

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service