Greetings.
I am kind of curious to know how much preparation you can do to your signature ingredients before entering prep time, and, then, during your prep time before your competition time. Did james hoffman chop his hazelnuts for the biscotti foam before or after the start of the preparation time? Did he harvest the tobacco before or after? Matt Riddle sliced his USBC limes during his competition time, was he required to, or could he have gotten it done during the prep time? I think you get my drift.

Thanks,

B

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

Here is my take on things after competing in last years NERBC, and just having got back form competing out of region in DC. You are permitted to prepare your ingredients to whatever state you'd like to have them. there are really no provisions in the rules that say that you can't let's say slice limes. There aren't really any clearly defined positives to preparations during a competition. However with practice, 15 minutes should be more than enough time to at least do some of the preparation. Preparing some of your ingredients during a competition allows another level of interaction between you and the judges. That being said, I have heard of many competitors splitting the differenced, preparing some of the ingredients ahead. there is also the option of fudging it a little bit, like starting with an already heated pot of cream. it's up to you to make a decision as to what level of prior preparation you'd like to do to fit everything in your time.

chris
Brent -
This is solid help. Thank you. Everytime I think about my signature drink, I get a little freaked out that it's boring and obvious. But, coming at it from a fine dining angle, the importance of communicating both effectively, and, simply. I gather that it is important not to overwhelm the judges with TMI, and, maintain a sense of mastery over what you are presenting.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service