Since working at a coffee shoppe usually means that you are on your feet for hours on end, often times on very unforgiving floors, I was wondering if anybody has a pair or brand of shoes that they simply could not make it through a shift without? Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to make this aspect of the job a bit more endurable?

I have been a barista for years, but need a new pair of shoes, so I thought I would look for suggestions. :)

Cheers!

Views: 16052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a hard time finding shoes that are supportive and aesthetically pleasing at the same time. My dad turned me on to Keens. They are great! They fit my foot really well (I have wide feet) and I feel great even after a double. http://www.keenfootwear.com/
I was turned on to Dansko Clogs by a coworker a few years ago and now I cannot live without them. I have pretty much graduated to wearing them every day. They are a little difficult to get used to at first but once you break your foot in (the footbed on these shoes does not flex or bend so your foot will break into them as opposed to you breaking them in) you will not be disappointed. I have found that I can wear them for 18 hours + easily.

I also wear wooden soled Dutch clogs and Birkinstocks. Since I switched out of tennis shoes and running shoes and everything else that I thought might work, I have had less back, knee and hip pain.

Danskos are not cheap but they are worth it!

**5 AM Rockstars Unite!!**
We don't get overlooked, Bryan, We are just a cut above the gen pop! Maybe you should work at a call center, then you could sit all day.
The REAL baristas that I know scorn breaks like a 25 cent tip. Shame on you.

Bryan Wray said:
Fraser Jamieson said:
Breaks?

Bryan, I should have you speak to my boss.

I guess I'm lucky. I've always spent long days on my feet, but have had very few problems. With dress leather shoes, I've always paid big bucks for a hand made product. Big bucks. For work at the cafe, I get along just fine with Reebok Walking Shoes.

Well I know... I don't really get them either, but I'm talking 8-12 hour shifts without sitting (ever). If you think about it... that's horsesh*t. What other kinds of businesses do this? Aren't breaks mandatory? Why do baristas always get overlooked when it comes to this?

-bry
Cool.

Yeah. Coffee really must not be my thing since I like to feel my legs and stuff. If you think that taking 5-10 minutes off bar is a sign of weakness you're only kidding yourself.

Real bosses and real baristas know that they'll break down if they don't take care of themselves.

I'm not talking about giving your 6a-9a barista a 20 minute lunch break or anything, but anyone that's on shift for more than 4 hours should be able to step off the bar for 10 minutes. But congrats on being from the only state in the entire nation that doesn't require an employer to give their employees breaks.

-bry

Michelle said:
We don't get overlooked, Bryan, We are just a cut above the gen pop! Maybe you should work at a call center, then you could sit all day.

Bryan Wray said:
Fraser Jamieson said:
Breaks?

Bryan, I should have you speak to my boss.

I guess I'm lucky. I've always spent long days on my feet, but have had very few problems. With dress leather shoes, I've always paid big bucks for a hand made product. Big bucks. For work at the cafe, I get along just fine with Reebok Walking Shoes.

Well I know... I don't really get them either, but I'm talking 8-12 hour shifts without sitting (ever). If you think about it... that's horsesh*t. What other kinds of businesses do this? Aren't breaks mandatory? Why do baristas always get overlooked when it comes to this?

-bry
Bry can defend himself but I've got to say it: You are SO out of line.

Michelle said:

Michelle said:

Wow. Way to judge someone you've never met.

Taking care of your body and your employees is no small consideration. Pretty sure that I'm a "real" barista, and don't mind getting the chance to sit down for 2 minutes after a big rush. You gonna take a jab at me too?
Danner seven days a week. I wear inserts and need all the support I can get. Most of their models provide the best lateral support I have found. I use both low cuts as well as high tops.
Agreed. Our profession is physically and mentally taxing...self-care is crucial for those of us who would like to do this for an extended period of time.
Honestly, I appreciate every tip that I get, whether it is 25 cents or $100. It's money in my pocket, so why shouldn't I?

Brady said:

Michelle said:

Wow. Way to judge someone you've never met.

Taking care of your body and your employees is no small consideration. Pretty sure that I'm a "real" barista, and don't mind getting the chance to sit down for 2 minutes after a big rush. You gonna take a jab at me too?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service