Hey Folks,

I'm in the market for a tamper, and I always thought they were all flat and that you just measure the inside of your portafilter basket and buy the appropriate size. After reading a few discussion on Bx, I'm guessing that the convex one increases the surface area of the coffee, maybe? But beyond that, I know nothing, including why I would want to increase the surface area of my coffee, if in fact that is what I want to do! Can someone walk me through the ins and outs of choosing the right tamper? I'm using a Rancilio classe 8 2-group machine.

Views: 5755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never played with one until today (convex tamper) after years of using a flat. It was comfortable but made my shot blond very quickly. I tend to overdose a touch to compensate for the freshness of the coffee been I use. Wishing it could be better I do what I can. I feel a lot more control of the shot if I use a flat. It could be me, I'd say try it out for yourself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service