Recently read an old discussion on Coffeed, regarding the value vs. cost of pouring kettles commonly used in manual brewing. The standard would have to be the Hario Buono, with the Takahiro used in some shops with more spending money.  I wanted a kettle for home, but I couldn't justify over $50, so I started shopping around for an alternative. I looked at several things but never really found something that worked for me.

Recently, fellow BX'er James Spano revealed an obscure, overseas website store called Homeloo, that sells items for all parts of the home. In their kitchen section were a couple of water kettles that looked promising.

I ordered one, and am testing it now, and must say, for the money spent, I am thrilled! I can't speak to its durability, but used on periodic basis at home, it works well. At least I can hone my Chemex technique now, and when I start brewing with the v60, I will be prepared.

Here's the link to the one I got, but there is another listed in the Kitchen section:

http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=33_48&produc...

What other solutions do some of you use for pouring kettles?

Views: 11357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it's quite nice. i've not used a buono, so i can't compare it to that, but i actually get my hario brews to the four minute mark now. well worth the $30.
Have only had it a few days and can say without a doubt far prefer it to the two Buono's we already have. Double wall construction results in holds heat very well and pours even better than the Buono too. Pour control is absolutely fabulous. Buono only wins on comfort of the handle. Do wish it came in brushed stainless steel though. While it does like great, brushed would be easier to keep looking good in a production environment. All in all way satisfied and will be ordering more.
BTW, THANKS Paul for the great find!
Thanks, Mike, but really, I must pass the credit on to James Spano of Cup to Cup Coffee Roasters. Not sure how he found them, but I definitely benefited from it, and am very glad to pass it on to others.

Now, I have a question: Which kettle did you get, Mike? the Deco round one, or the flat-bottomed pear shaped one?
When we get a new thermocouple I plan to do some work on measuring temperature loss over time (New vs. Buono). While these new ones are double walled, the side walls get awfully hot, so I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes.

Also, we all agree the heat transfer to the lid is ridiculous right? I mean... I've got barista hands and I still notice how damn hot the lid gets.

But yeah, like Mike said, really happy with the buy overall and most importantly
I much prefer this kettle to the Hario Buono.

-bry
Deco round with long curved spout. May get both next order to compare since will eventually order two more to replace the Buono's being used now at two locations.

Paul Yates said:
ow he found them, but I definitely benefited from it, and am very glad to pass it on to others.

Now, I have a question: Which kettle did you get, Mike? the Deco round one, or the flat-bottomed pear shaped one?
Ok, great! I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on the other one, as I don't know anyone who has tried it yet.
Kudos as well for this find,

I've had mine (flat bottomed kettle) for several weeks now and it pours fantastic.
That 16 bucks might have been one of the finer purchases I've made for my setup.

Also bought some plastic "dip" and am planning on coating the handle as well as the lid top.
I'd like to see this fella at a drip coffee station...
his heat retention has to be pretty poor

Terence T said:
I'd like to see this fella at a drip coffee station...
Thanks Paul. I've doen quite a bit of searching too. I just ordered one also. $13.20 to ship to Hawaii.

Ok now, which kettle are we talking about?  The original post's http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=33_48&produc... kettle is double walled?  

 

If so, I'm ordering one today...

 

 

 

 


Mike McGinness said:

Have only had it a few days and can say without a doubt far prefer it to the two Buono's we already have. Double wall construction results in holds heat very well and pours even better than the Buono too. Pour control is absolutely fabulous. Buono only wins on comfort of the handle. Do wish it came in brushed stainless steel though. While it does like great, brushed would be easier to keep looking good in a production environment. All in all way satisfied and will be ordering more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2021   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service