looking to buy green coffee beans bulk 500 pounds per month any suggesions?

looking to buy green coffee beans bulk 500 pounds per month any suggesions?

Views: 2014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My friend, you need to contact a green broker.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=green+c...

We use cafe imports and coffee shrub. Our broker at cafe imports is Noah, always have good results. Coffee shrub sells by the whole bag as well even though the website only shows broken bags, just email them!

I use Royal Coffee-I usually deal with John Coyne. I also use Atlas coffee, Al liu. Both have always supplies me with real good coffee, consistently good service and transportation.

Good luck.

Nick

Yeah, I have to say that by endorsing my suppliers I'm not saying anything against any others. My only experiences are with these two and Royal. Royal was just slightly more hassle to get set up with, so that's why I'm not with them.

Your bio says you are a baker not a coffee professional let alone coffee roaster. Got into coffee after expanding from wholesale baking to opening your retail bakeries with coffee as an addition not focus or passion.

Is it easy to be a great baker? I guarantee is just as hard or harder to be a great roaster. Or to you plan on toll roasting? If so talk with your roaster about buying the bags yourself to cut down on his risk and investment hence lowering your cost of roasted coffees. I mean if you don't even know how to find coffee importers how the hell do you expect to make beans sing as a coffee roaster? 

Not saying not to enter the world of coffee roasting. But tread carefully lest you loose focus on your core business which appears to be baking.

I will add to what Mike said, but with a more understanding note. If coffee is your first passion, go for it. I can, however relate to Mike's frustration because I too talk to a lot of people who are looking to roast coffee for reasons other than a passion for the art. Not that this is what you're doing, but definitely examine your motives. It will be a large investment and take a couple hundred dollars worth of mistakes to get to even a mediocre level.
The other idea which Mike proposed is a sound one. Get more involved with your roaster's process of sourcing coffee. Attend some of their cuppings and ask them to educate you on that process. I have several customers who are involved in sourcing their own coffee. I roast samples, they cup, and then they make their purchase. I warehouse it for them, roast it for them, and private label it. I make less money overall, but it's a win win situation.

This is also a good step in the right direction for you to see how much you really want to take on your own roasting and will give you invaluable knowledge. It's definitely a great inbetween step between buying wholesale and roasting your own! Not every cafe should roast their own coffee, just like every sandwich shop shouldn't bake their own bread. If your roaster is unwilling to take you though this process, by the way, time to find one who is.

Have fun with this new venture! I'm sure it will be very enjoyable no matter which route you choose!

Phil
I have been roasting going on 7 years now. My bakery handed me coffee and have learned a great deal about roasting. Hey Mike sorry that I upset you but when lifes hands me lemons I make lemonaide. I have moved from a 1.5 .lb drum roaster outside to a 15K Toper inside. Mike have you seen the app from Iphone called Roastmaster let me know what you think. If thats not passion I dont know what is. James Simon Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Shop Bridgeport, West Virginia 26330
almostheavendessertsandcoffeeshop.com

Hey Mike Its another update.  Its quite easy to source green coffee beans.  Still roasting in my 15k Toper.   Roasting and selling by the pound and for our daily brew and single origin espressos.  Cutsomers love the theatre behind the roaster being in the bakery/coffee shop.  Mike visit our website at almostheavendessertsandcoffeeshop.com if you want to see a definition of

PASSION.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service