I've always tried my darnedest to keep my espresso hoppers full - I was told in training that the gravity of the espresso in the hopper affects the grind.
Lately, however, I've been wondering if this is true. Does the espresso level in the hopper affect the grind?
I noticed some of the WBC competitors didn't have their hopper full either...

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It will affect the feed rate of the coffee to the burrs, which in turn will affect the grind to an extent.

There was an article in Barista Magazine about it a few months back (maybe a year? I don't remember) that talked about this in a bit more detail.

But the same article also talked about the doser being inaccurate unless full. (IIRC)

Does it make a difference? Yes. Is it a big difference? Probably not. I'm inclined to think it would depend on the grinder, the burrs, and the coffee.

I just don't worry about it, for the most part.
Doesn't come into play for me until quite empty - but then it does make a huge difference. Can't say I notice it when the hopper is in the full - 2/3 full range. If you're always adjusting anyway (I do at least - maybe this all adds to that) the differences probably gets picked up in there.
I think keeping it constant at whatever level would be key to less grind adjustment.
Well...IMHO there are some other factors that contribute to how much this effects your grind. Keep the hopper clean, I'm sure you do, but if it is all oily the beans will be more likely to stick to the walls of the hopper. Also, the "gravity effect" seems to be different with different coffees. This may be connected to the oil on the bean, and also bean size and density.

I always keep mine full, if it is always the same or close to the same then you will never have to ask "is somthing different?" I also am a big enough geek that I keep a scale next to the machine so I can keep tabs on what is happening. (let's avoid the scale discussion though)

see you tomorrow Aaron
Yes it is recommended that you keep your hopper at least half way full however large or small your hopper. Yes, the gravity does help keep more of a consistent grind especially if the grind is changed often.
If you're using a grinder with good grind timer then keeping the hopper 3/4 to completely full at all times is very important. The lower the beans in the hopper the less will be ground for same amount of time. Actually the hopper doesn't have to be 3/4 to completely full, could be 1/4 to 1/2, or 1/2 to 3/4. Point is to have relatively consistent small variation in amount in the hopper at any given time.
I am constantly amazed by all of the "little" things that I don't know. Thanks for asking the question, and for the insightful answers.

I am going off to fill up my hopper now.

Ron, the Country Guy
Haha, don't you hate that? I've often felt I have a good grasp on everything, only to learn later that I could improve by making a small adjustment to my technique.

Ron Ingber said:
I am constantly amazed by all of the "little" things that I don't know. Thanks for asking the question, and for the insightful answers.

I am going off to fill up my hopper now.

Ron, the Country Guy
"The rabbit hole" strikes again... They really need to put up a warning sign at the top.
Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
hahah that's funny

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
Funny? Seriously? Philosophical certainly. A philosphy I live by allowing me to never stop learning. When it comes to coffee (as in most things) the more I know, the more I know I don't know.

Aaron McNany said:
hahah that's funny

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
While I agree with you, the first version sounded quite Buddhist. Are you Buddhist?

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Funny? Seriously? Philosophical certainly. A philosphy I live by allowing me to never stop learning. When it comes to coffee (as in most things) the more I know, the more I know I don't know.

Aaron McNany said:
hahah that's funny

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2021   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service