I'm looking for a good quality grinder for my home Nuova Simonelli Oscar. I don't do a lot of volume so am not really looking for a commercial caliber unit. If I am not drinking an espresso drink, I make a press pot so would like a machine that can handle both although I have an older burr grinder I could keep for press pot.

So far, the recommendations have run from a Baratza Maestro (around $150) with conical burrs to a more commercial Nuova Simonelli MDF (around $650).

I want quality espresso in a space with limited counter area. Any suggestions? Thanks....

Views: 922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The grinder is more important than the espresso machine itself so don't skimp. The Maestro is not suitable for quality espresso duties, marginal grind at best and the burrs will be shot in 6 months espresso duty at home. (Based on my experience with a Maestro, and like discussions with others) Ideally you'll want stepless grind adjustment rather than stepped and since going duel duty stay away from worm-gear adjust grinders like McCap. A decent stepped like Rancilio Rocky will do ok, but at times you'll have to make compromises in dose to achieve desired shot since one step ~= 6 seconds double shot timing.

Used Super Jolly good way to go. Hell, I know a few home espresso enthusiasts who use Mazzer Roburs or comparable. Yes, at home.
Oopps...wrong initials. The Nuova Simonelli was the MCF grinder.
I have been incredibly happy with my mazzer mini. (big suprise, who isn't ?) Just get the doserless if you plan to make a lot of non-espresso coffee. If I had one issue with it, it would be the hassle of getting coffee out of the doser, and efficiently into anything other than a porta-filter. Of course, mazzers aren't small, even though they say "mini" in the title. One grinder that caught my eye once before (although I have no personal experience with it) was the MCI, available on www.chriscoffee.com. Supposedly a modified MCF that he had Nuova make for him. I agree 100% with Mike on the don't skimp, and Maestro points he made. I owned a Baratza Virtuoso for all of 2 weeks before sending it back and replacing it with the mazzer. They just don't cut (grind) it.
Thanks for the tips. Really confirming what I have been feeling. So now, to find a great grinder without breaking the bank....
I'm in the process of looking into a new grinder and the ones I've looked and researched are the Macap M4 stepless and doser, the other is the Macap MC4 which is a stepless and doserless. They go for about 550.00 at Whole Latta Love, but at the espressodealer.com site they have the Macap M7 selling for around 550.00 but it's to tall 24 inches, and they also have the Macap M5 selling for 440.00, it is similar to the M4. The Mazzar Mini is going for around 650.00 on most sites.
The OP said would likely be duel use. Like I said Macap grinder's stepless worm gear totally unsuitable for changing from espresso to coarse and back again on any regular basis. The worm gear is great for very fine minute adjustments needed for espresso, a huge PIA making big grind changes. Mazzer stepless collar adjustment mucho better for this type of usage. IF the new Baratza Vario lives up to it's hype it could be a good choice for space constrained home duel usage.

Gery Bastiani said:
I'm in the process of looking into a new grinder and the ones I've looked and researched are the Macap M4 stepless and doser, the other is the Macap MC4 which is a stepless and doserless. They go for about 550.00 at Whole Latta Love, but at the espressodealer.com site they have the Macap M7 selling for around 550.00 but it's to tall 24 inches, and they also have the Macap M5 selling for 440.00, it is similar to the M4. The Mazzar Mini is going for around 650.00 on most sites.
I am quite happy with my Macap MC4 for espresso, but would just as soon use a blade grinder (OK, not really) then deal with the carpal tunnel that comes from twisting the gears of the worm drive for press pot.

Which brings me to another question: Assuming I'll keep the Macap for espresso, but want to add a decent grinder for press, how does the Maestro or Virtuoso rate? Anything else out there I should be looking at? I'll also do the occasional cupping with it.
Either of those would be quite good home grinders for non-espresso or heaven help you Turkish! Other similar respectable small conical home grinders Bodum Antigua or Capresso Infinity.

Pedal Press said:
I am quite happy with my Macap MC4 for espresso, but would just as soon use a blade grinder (OK, not really) then deal with the carpal tunnel that comes from twisting the gears of the worm drive for press pot.

Which brings me to another question: Assuming I'll keep the Macap for espresso, but want to add a decent grinder for press, how does the Maestro or Virtuoso rate? Anything else out there I should be looking at? I'll also do the occasional cupping with it.
I'm getting clear that I'll now plan to keep my old burr grinder which does well for press pot but add a grinder specifically for espresso. That's over 90% of my use anyway. That helps narrow things a lot.

Any of you have experience with the Nuova Simonelli MCF or the MCI model through Chris's coffee?
Larry,

You probably have solved your grinder dilemma by now but in case not, we sell the new Baratza Vario.
http://buckheadcoffeestore.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=164
It is pretty sweet. Ceramic Mahlkonig conical burrs. Very versatile...grinds essentially infinite grind settings
from Espresso to French Press. Works well both commercially and domestically. Take a loog at these, but then you probably already decided. Maybe next time.

"Brew Unto Others"

David
Thanks David,

Yes, I did decide on a grinder and got a Nuova Simonelli MCF. It's working well. Took me a while to learn to dial it in. Made the mistake of having several different espresso blends on hand at the same time so had to do a lot of tinkering with each. Making great coffee now!

Cheers...Larry

David Stellwagen said:
Larry,

You probably have solved your grinder dilemma by now but in case not, we sell the new Baratza Vario.
http://buckheadcoffeestore.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=164
It is pretty sweet. Ceramic Mahlkonig conical burrs. Very versatile...grinds essentially infinite grind settings
from Espresso to French Press. Works well both commercially and domestically. Take a loog at these, but then you probably already decided. Maybe next time.

"Brew Unto Others"

David
I just came across this thread, but was going to recommend the MCF so I'm glad you got one. After 4 years of use in shop as a decaf or "guest espresso" grinder the only reason that I don't use it anymore is because it found a stone and the burrs are shot and we have so many grinders that I don't really need to replace it right now. If I actually made coffee at home (live a 5 minute walk away from my shop) I would replace the burrs in a heartbeat and get the baby on the counter.

Good luck with the grinder, I think you will be happy.

-bry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service