Going from Triple basket Naked to Double basket Spouted. Help?

Just looking for suggestions.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my espresso extractions at the moment.

Here's the deal, at the shop we pull on triple basket naked portifilters.

At the moment I'm training for GLRBC and pulling espresso on double baskets with spouts.

I have no issue pulling triples with naked. But when I go to the double spouted I'm having a world of difference in the taste of my espresso.

My dose has remained the same on both. I'm pulling 1.75 oz for each extraction.

The only variable I'm changing is the grind. Seems the shape and the bottom surface area change the time inwhich my espresso pulls.

Whats happening is my espresso is getting washed out in flavor. The prominent fruit note is no longer prominent. It kind of loses any prominent flavors and the body is just not there(I expected to lose some body when going to spouted portifilters)

So what do you guys think? and I not aware of a certain variable? The coffee I'm using has come into question as well but I strongly feel this is a User Error (me).

Some suggestions and advice would be nice. A tad frustrated at this point.

Thanks guys.

Views: 1269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matthew, be sure to report back... sorry for us derailing your thread for a while, but you gotta admit it was pretty fun (and also, I doubt it's over... this one is way too much fun, lol).

-bry
Lorenzo Perkins said:
One thing I haven't seen people mention about Mike Phillips' performance dose weights was that some coffees are more dense than others. .

Ya hafta read the entire thread...

Chris said:
And finally, I can get eighteen grams of Black Cat in my basket, but only sixteen and a half of B&B's Dancing Goat. The last SO I got form Barefoot would let me cram almost nineteen grams before I started losing headspace, but the SO I got from PT's topped out at sixteen-ish.

Different coffees act differently, and must be dialed in individually. If they were always all the same, we could dial in our shots and then weld the adjustment ring. ; >
You guys were pretty quick to accuse Justin Johnson of being crazy without looking into his statement. It's a little embarrassing that you'd behave so unprofessionally towards one of your peers. I've read the same article he's referencing and I'll post it once I find it.

There's a lot of coffee chemistry research available online. Maybe look into it before you call someone a nutter.
Amanda,
Please read the whole thread. Bry and others here know I'm the biggest nutter on this list. It's true it, ( the thread ) did morph in seemingly rude ways but that was not in the least way our intention. I for one do look forward to reading this report you mention and will as soon as you find and post it. That said, report or no report I was not joking when I said I would like to do a blind taste test to ahhh shall we say prove or establish the findings to have some basis in truth with my taste buds.
Yes we sometimes poke fun. I repeat fun. Coffee is fun. Coffee people are more fun. Coffee professionals are the most fun.
Cheers,
Joe
--
Ambassador for Specialty Coffee and palate reform.

Amanda said:
You guys were pretty quick to accuse Justin Johnson of being crazy without looking into his statement. It's a little embarrassing that you'd behave so unprofessionally towards one of your peers. I've read the same article he's referencing and I'll post it once I find it.

There's a lot of coffee chemistry research available online. Maybe look into it before you call someone a nutter.
Amanda said:
You guys were pretty quick to accuse Justin Johnson of being crazy without looking into his statement.

There is a whole lotta research online, including a coupla images of the output of a handful of grinders under a scanning electron microscope. Fortunately, quite a bit of good research can be done with some very sensitive equipment right in your own kitchen or shop. Occam's Razor says that the simplest explanation is the most likely explanation. The medical field is fond of saying that if you hear hoofbeats, think first of horses, not zebras.
While there may be something to that research, to leap right to that instead of thinking perhaps that the research (and I pointed him at some) done in comparing spouteds to nakeds might hold some promise was a bit of a stretch. I suggested that he employ that finely tuned equipment that he already owns, the only one that should really matter to him, his palate, and report back to us what he found. It was an easy enough test to perform, far easier than any electron exchange comparison experiment would be for us to carry out, and would, at very least, obviate the stirring as the solution. I suggest that we wait to hear the results of his testing before we all jump into some very tedious and expensive testing of stray electrons.
I didn't mock him unprofessionally, I simply suggested another path before we embarked on what might end up being a wild goose chase.
Of course, if the tests he conducts are inconclusive, we've lost nothing but a little time, he's had some nice shots, and we can still pursue the research into electron transfer.
Seems silly, though, if he comes to the conclusion that stirring the shots makes them pretty much indistinguishable.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service