Going from Triple basket Naked to Double basket Spouted. Help?

Just looking for suggestions.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with my espresso extractions at the moment.

Here's the deal, at the shop we pull on triple basket naked portifilters.

At the moment I'm training for GLRBC and pulling espresso on double baskets with spouts.

I have no issue pulling triples with naked. But when I go to the double spouted I'm having a world of difference in the taste of my espresso.

My dose has remained the same on both. I'm pulling 1.75 oz for each extraction.

The only variable I'm changing is the grind. Seems the shape and the bottom surface area change the time inwhich my espresso pulls.

Whats happening is my espresso is getting washed out in flavor. The prominent fruit note is no longer prominent. It kind of loses any prominent flavors and the body is just not there(I expected to lose some body when going to spouted portifilters)

So what do you guys think? and I not aware of a certain variable? The coffee I'm using has come into question as well but I strongly feel this is a User Error (me).

Some suggestions and advice would be nice. A tad frustrated at this point.

Thanks guys.

Views: 1269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike & Joseph,
Do this experiment...
take your brightest coffee and pull shots to SCAA standars with a naked and then with spouts. Plenty of studies have been done about the effects that metal has on flavor profiles. Check em out on GOOGLE. It's one of the most interesting things that I have ever done.

Joseph Robertson said:
Thanks miKe,
Now I'm on the same electron page... miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Seriously? Since a double basket has less surface area than a triple basket I'd expect the neutrons cacading off the protons to have a greater effect than errant electrons.

Justin Johnson said:
what's probably happening is electron transfer. The added contact with metal is throwing off the flavor profile. You would need to adjust the blend in order to work around the problem, if you can't do that the I would try another coffee altogether.
Indeed some metals, especially bare brass, will screw with a shot's taste. Ever hear of a seasoning shot?

Justin Johnson said:
Mike & Joseph,
Do this experiment...
take your brightest coffee and pull shots to SCAA standars with a naked and then with spouts. Plenty of studies have been done about the effects that metal has on flavor profiles. Check em out on GOOGLE. It's one of the most interesting things that I have ever done.

Joseph Robertson said:
Thanks miKe,
Now I'm on the same electron page... miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Seriously? Since a double basket has less surface area than a triple basket I'd expect the neutrons cacading off the protons to have a greater effect than errant electrons.

Justin Johnson said:
what's probably happening is electron transfer. The added contact with metal is throwing off the flavor profile. You would need to adjust the blend in order to work around the problem, if you can't do that the I would try another coffee altogether.
Justin Johnson said:
Mike & Joseph,
Do this experiment...
take your brightest coffee and pull shots to SCAA standars with a naked and then with spouts. Plenty of studies have been done about the effects that metal has on flavor profiles.

The most common comparison I've heard between naked and spouted (chat with Jim Hoffman) was that the spouted tasted much like the naked after it was stirred.
Electron transfer seems to be more common between the tin-foil hat that they guy on Google was wearing and his taste buds. There isn't really a buncha science backing that theory up...
Test it yourself. Have a bud pull two doppio simultaneously, one spouted, one naked, and then have him stir both. Once he's done, have him hand you both and see if you can tell which is which. After the third time you do that in a row without missing, I'll start with electron transfer again.
And I'll still doubt :0)

-bry
Bry,
is it time for a blind taste test with our foil beanies on. We could UTubeit.
Let's set a date and wear our best hand made hats and use SCAA cupping spoons......No joke...I think we could be out those goofy Ausie coffee clips...
JoeR
Shiny side out, right?
Shiny w/wrinkles out...
Brady said:
Shiny side out, right?

What'reya, new?!? Of course shiny side out. How else are ya gonna keep the orbiting mind control laser robots from changing your espresso?

; >
Chris said:
Brady said:
Shiny side out, right?

What'reya, new?!? Of course shiny side out. How else are ya gonna keep the orbiting mind control laser robots from changing your espresso?

; >

Well, I guess it depends on whether you're more worried about mind control or mind reading. But I digress...
Reminds me of Dr. Zuesses "The butter battle book" Butter side up or butter side down.
Brady,
No worries, I seriously digressed as well. I do think a utube video of a blind taste test would be fun and worth it. Regarding the subject above. Don't you think?
Now the foil hats would only add some bling and fun to the video....(who knows maybe a little protection too) <];^)
One thing I haven't seen people mention about Mike Phillips' performance dose weights was that some coffees are more dense than others. Mike's coffee might of been really heavy (dense) and 18 or 19 grams wouldn't have impacted the screen, but I know for damn sure that a 19 gram dose of a certain Costa Rica we have will.

I am a big proponent of dosing volumetrically in the basket, as coffees will vary based on altitude, roast profile, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service