I've been following some of the very informative discussions here on different French press brew techniques, especially the brew methods  link http://www.brewmethods.com/. My question is about the 'crust' that forms, or should form, after initially saturating and agitating the grounds with water. I seem to get a nice bloom forming but not as many of the grounds are floating in it and I don't seem to be getting that nice crust that I've seen in some of the instructional videos.

What am I doing wrong? Grounds not coarse enough? Too coarse? Wrong water temp? I haven't invested in a nice grinder yet but my cheapo Capresso does allow me to adjust the grind size.

Thanx.

Joe

Views: 1400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, what an intense discussion my question has spurred. I just made a French press brew with some freshly roasted coffee from my favorite local shop that they retail as "dark roast" and I got a really great bloom with this one. After letting it sit for 4 mins in the press, i "cracked" the crust and literally saw the bloom expand. I can't say it tastes decidedly better than some recent brews I have done with much less bloom. But it sure was fun to watch. I will have to ask the coffee shop owner about his roast process (1st, 2nd, 3rd? crack) so I can add some more detailed feedback to the discussion.

Thanx everyone.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service