Now, first off, I used to drink Splenda, and this has nothing to do with Splenda itself, but more along the lines of drink making. A similar post was on Coffeed but I decided I'd like the BaristaExchange's community answer.

The other day, I had a customer come in and asked for 3 Splendas on the bottom of her cup before I started her latte. I was hesitant, but complied. This sparked a recent discussion amongst my manager and a few baristas at Trabant.

*From here forth, "Splenda" is interchangeable with any other sweetner brand*

The way I see it, Splenda is an additive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no nutiritional reason that someone MUST have Splenda in their coffee. I was presented with the possibility that perhaps adding chocolate to a mocha, was like adding Splenda (or Sweet N Low or w/e) to a latte. It was argued that I add the Splenda to the espresso instead of having someone dump it ontop of a rosetta I poured and have my latte art mush up. My main argument was that people, for the most part, who are adding things to their drinks are rarely seen (at my cafe, or at least by me) first trying their drink, and then adjusting accordingly. The Splenda adders are people who have ordered "Venti" Lattes and are in the habit of always dumping sweetner to their bitter espresso beverage. My main argument was that these people are not used to naturally delicious espresso beverages. They are used to the bitter SBUX shots or the McLatte. I'll admit it, when I was still drinking SBUX, I would add Sugar in the Raw to my latte.

So, should I allow my customers to have me mix in their sweet chemicals to my espresso, or should I just point to the condiment bar where they can "Mix to Taste?"

Views: 406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mmmmmmmhm.
Interesting turn to this discussion...

Jeff said:
"We do possess way more resources, mostly intellectual mind you, than our customers when it comes to coffee, but we can refrain from facilitating a tense, conflicted relationship with them if we choose."

That is an important point. There is a big difference between possessing more knowledge about something and being a snob. That is our choice.
Lots of interesting positions. But if you feel that Splenda is an additive that degrades your product then why offer it all? It seems odd and quite ridiculous to me that anyone would offer something that they feel degrades their product. While The Spro offers Splenda, we certainly do not offer hazelnut or other commercial syrups. In fact, we pour the sugar and cream for the customer (to their desires), which allows us control over the production of the drink and the "salvation" of the latte art - leaving the customer to concern themselves with drinking instead of standing at a condiment bar pouring, mixing and making a mess (as they would do at Starbucks or some lesser coffee house).

Someone else also offered the position that it's not their business and they respect that - if that were the case, why aren't you taking this issue up with the owners and what is their position? If they are the standard bearer, they'll tell you what's up.
this is a discussion on a forum...not my petition to remove Splenda from coffee shops, including my own. Also, your statement of "lesser coffee shops" slightly perturbed me, plenty of phenomenal shops still have condiment bars. I do not plan on having to remember every customers special request. One baristas proportions are different than others even within shops. Do the customers have to tell the barista when to stop pouring various condiments? Seems like a waste of time. I'm interested in the benefits, though. What do customers think?
what's the difference in adding milk to espresso and adding splenda to a latte? both are forms of the same sin, taking away from the subtly of espresso by adding things. I, personally, can't stand sweeteners in my coffee but enjoy a latte every now and again, the main difference is perception, we baristas have decided what is and is not ok to bastardize your espresso with. lattes are accepted, cappuccinos are accepted, few people bat an eye when asked to make a mocha, but if a customer wants something sweet that doesn't come in a bottle then, because it covers up to much of the taste the customer has to do it. Does putting splenda in the bottom of a cup alter the quality of the drinks that are made for other customers? Where do we draw the line? Do enforce a time limit on how long the customer can drink from his 12oz latte? or require that people don't eat certain things that we find unpalatable with their beverages, do we refuse service to customers that smoke because we think the taste of tobacco interferes with our beverage. we need to get off our high horse and give people the drink they want, then through faithful polite service perhaps we can train the customer what to look for when drinking their coffee. refusal of service will only result in loss of business and loss of an audience for our art.
Tobaccoman,

I never said anything about refusing service, or being rude to customers. This is about quality. This is a site for industry professionals and people who love coffee in general. The point of the discussion, and something that has been made apparent, is how we control the quality on our side of the counter. As the Murky Mayhem has shown,...we do what we do, and if you take your doppio outside and add it to your SBUX latte for an extra kick, than at least there's finally some quality coffee in one of those cups. Is it practical in a high volume cafe to be addin', mixin', shakin' and stirrin' for 3 minutes for one 8oz latte when the very same can happen in 1 minute if they just walk over to our condiment bar and add what they will? I've had great success in talking to customers about our coffee in the situation I initially stated. They appreciate it. There was no high horse to get off of, my customers are my customers, and they're great. I don't belittle them or tell them what they can and can not get, if they ask, I'll tell them what the best quality and tasting drink I can make using what they tell me they're in the mood for. Its all about working WITH your customers, not against.
tobaccoman said:
what's the difference in adding milk to espresso and adding splenda to a latte? both are forms of the same sin, taking away from the subtly of espresso by adding things. I, personally, can't stand sweeteners in my coffee but enjoy a latte every now and again, the main difference is perception, we baristas have decided what is and is not ok to bastardize your espresso with. lattes are accepted, cappuccinos are accepted, few people bat an eye when asked to make a mocha, but if a customer wants something sweet that doesn't come in a bottle then, because it covers up to much of the taste the customer has to do it. Does putting splenda in the bottom of a cup alter the quality of the drinks that are made for other customers? Where do we draw the line? Do enforce a time limit on how long the customer can drink from his 12oz latte? or require that people don't eat certain things that we find unpalatable with their beverages, do we refuse service to customers that smoke because we think the taste of tobacco interferes with our beverage. we need to get off our high horse and give people the drink they want, then through faithful polite service perhaps we can train the customer what to look for when drinking their coffee. refusal of service will only result in loss of business and loss of an audience for our art.
try asking them if they have ever tasted a latte that you made them without splenda in it? Tell them that you will make them one and that you guarantee that they will like it without the Splenda. If they dont tell them you will make em another one with Splenda.

Works pretty damned well. Stand behind your coffee and do it with love and confidence. offer to drink a shot with them and discuss the flavors. Convert for life and non splenda needer or they are mighty impressed.

I tell our Baristas that if a customer NEEDS to add sugar or splenda to their drink WE did something wrong.

however they may WANT to add it cause they like sickenenly sweet gook.
AMEN! I'll drink a 16oz Non-Fat Extra Hot No Foam Sugar-Free Vanilla Cappuccino to that!
DaBom <aNdYnEwBoM> said:
try asking them if they have ever tasted a latte that you made them without splenda in it? Tell them that you will make them one and that you guarantee that they will like it without the Splenda. If they dont tell them you will make em another one with Splenda.

Works pretty damned well. Stand behind your coffee and do it with love and confidence. offer to drink a shot with them and discuss the flavors. Convert for life and non splenda needer or they are mighty impressed.

I tell our Baristas that if a customer NEEDS to add sugar or splenda to their drink WE did something wrong.

however they may WANT to add it cause they like sickenenly sweet gook.
while it hurts my feelings to make a twenty ounce latte with extra syrup i recognize that this is a necessary evil. i find myself in an over-saturated market, and just as some artists may agree to paint the dog in the smoking jacket so that they can afford the studio space to keep making the art that they love, i'm still willing to make concessions (within reason) so that I can make the coffee that i love. and with enough customer interaction you'll find that many of your customers are willing to try something new, but you won't get that far if you refuse to make their drinks the way that they request them initially. unfortunately this does some times leave you feeling as though you've sold out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service