I have some questions about grinders. If you guys could pick any espresso grinder you wanted, what would you pick? Would it be a Mazzer? Any specific model? Why? Should I get flat burr or conical burr? I need to get one for a store that will be very busy store so I need one that can handle the high volume.

The Mazzer Major Commercial Espresso Grinder / Doser - 83mm Burrs - this one looks like one of the best ones.

Anybody have any opinion?????

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Experience. Plain and simple.

The SJ in my experience has way more tendancy to throw to the left. The Robur, not quite so much. My experience with the SJ is that it is far harder to train people on, and results in up to 50% waste in extreme situations. The Robur doesn't "spit" quite so much, and is easier to train people to be clean on.

I've worked with both in training and live bar situations. Just because the SJ is slow, doesn't mean it wastes less. Have you seen the amount of ground coffee that gets trapped under the bottom burr set of an SJ?

Again, this is a personal preferance between two mazzer grinders after almost 10 years of working a live bar. Were I to chose a grinder for an espresso bar of mine, I wouldn't choose either of these grinders.
Mazzer Super Jolly: 10 seconds grind time, warm grounds, flat burrs (not highly recommended)
Mazzer Robur: 4 to 5 second grind time, cool grounds, conical burrs (Highly Recommended)
Compak K10 Conic: 5 second grind time, cool grounds, conical burrs (Highly Recommended)
Mahlkonig K30: 3.5 second grind time, slightly warm grounds, a little clumping (average recommendation)

If you can track one down, Mazzer just came out with a grind-on-demand Robur that grinds in 3 seconds. It looks amazing
I haven't done much work with a stock SJ, so forgive my ignorance.
Never meant to imply ignorance, Jason. I've worked with modded SJ's, and they can do a pretty good job, too.

At the end of the day, choosing a grinder is a very personal choice. I can think of many grinders that I could work with on a bar and be happy about, but I've yet to see someone come out with the perfect grinder.
I admitted my own ignorance (everyone is ignorant to some extent.. I'm not too worried about the label).

When I think "waste" I think everyone perceives what that really means a little differently.

The dosing to the left thing is fixable, and I haven't used an SJ with the dosing fork still attached in years.

I don't have enough experience with the Robur to make a good comparison, and my experience with an SJ is a bit skewed when matched to a "stock for stock" comparison anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service