I attended a coffee cupping about two months ago and as we were wrapping up/cleaning up, the discussion of the use of new and used coffee grounds was brought up. Besides the obvious "drip" or portafilter uses, a couple of off the wall uses were voiced.

A few of them were...

Washing hands
Washing face
Garden use
Throwing used "pucks" at each other in an espresso war.
And showering. Yes, showering. Apparently using coffee in your hair will help keep the shine.

I was wondering if anyone else had any, or heard of any other uses for your grinds...

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speaking of oil, I use the oil that I wipe from the inside of the hoppers to polish my wood tamper handle. It looks pretty nice.
You can burn compressed coffee? I guess it makes sense. I wonder if dried out pucks would burn? Might make for an unusual spin on the "puck war" described by the original poster :)

I occasionally use spent grounds and pucks on my garden, also in my compost pile. It definitely improves texture and drainage in my clay soil, and I hear is a good slow-release source of nitrogen. But beware if you use it as a topdressing... when the sun hits it it gives off a strong "stale coffee" aroma. Not exactly what I like to smell when working in the garden.

As far as making yourself smell like coffee... don't we all kinda smell like coffee most of the time anyway?
According to the Uncommon Grounds book (Pendergrast), they burnt surplus coffee in Brazil during the Depression, because they couldn't sell it.
"German journalist and historian Heinrich Jacob first encountered the burning coffee from a low-flyinh airplane in the early 1930s. "An aromatic yet pungent odour was rising from beneath and permeated the cabin." he wrote. "It dulled the senses, and was at the same time actually painful.. The smell had by now become intolerable, and the fumes had produced a ringing in my ears.It seemed to sap my strength."
Yuk.
It does say though, that they compressed it in to bricks, and used it as fuel on the railroads. If it smelt that bad from the air, imagine what it'd be like in a train carriage!
Right, but they were burning green coffee. Ever inhaled much smoke from roasting?

You get a taste of what he described.
no,I haven't... going to a roasting company for research soon though, soI just might yet!
effin' Alex... man - if you'd only have told me this in person... now I have to mock you from across the country... ;)
it's pretty gnar-gnar...

at first it is really pleasant when the beans are just toasted - around where you'd want to stop roasting them and start brewing...

it's when you go past the "Starbucks' Roast" stage (read: burnt) and stuff actually starts charring that the smell is pretty much indescribable...

I'm sure you'll get a whiff of what they're talking about in that book there when you visit the roastery...

or sneak out some green beans and throw 'em in a small fire and experience yourself!
There is a company around here producing what they call Java Logs and it is similar to a prest-o log. Apparently it's old, dessicated grinds mixed with something (probably wax) to holt together and maybe to encourage it to burn. I've thought about it a lot. If I didn't have a large property I don't what I'd do with my grounds...Although so far what I don't take home is usually collected by gardening customers and maybe they put a little bit underneath a thin slice of our composted cucumber and place them gently over their eyes.......I dunno!
OOo....That's a fun new spin to the "puck wars."

I will recruit Joe Stormer for this science experiment and report back.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service