In looking at different pre-manufactured options for pour over stations, we see there's commonly a significant distance that the coffee drops from bottom of filter to the cup - looks like 6" or more. Even photos of home-built "dandelion" stations seem to mimic the commercially available ones in terms of design.

Have never seen any data or thoughts on why there appears to be a standard design for these stations regarding height and drop. Anyone care to suggest what the benefit that length of distance means to the resulting cup? Is that drop distance only for theatre or is it to create some agitation in the already brewed coffee?

We're considering fabricating our own instead of buying, with a shorter drop, thinking that less expsoure to cooler air during the drop be a tiny bit beneficial. Also might keep things cleaner, similar to using a raised tray for demis to prevent splattering.

If you were to design the idea drip station, what other elements would you consider? Gold filters vs. paper. Ceramic/porcelain filter holders vs. plastic. Materials? And what about pouring techniques (we're of the three pour school of thought).

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rich - very good question.

Here are my consideration:

#1 - which set-up under a contolled environment makes the best tasting coffee.
#1.5 - which set-up under retail environment makes the best tasting coffee.
#2 - which is the most interesting for the consumer to watch
#3 - Which is the easiest to keep clean and functions.
#4 - see #1

OK - How will you controll the rate of extraction? will you train the employees on wetting, then extracting. too fast a pout of water will yield a thin brew and too slow will test the consumer patience.

Please let us know who you make your decision.
I would think porcelain filter holders would be best, it is more durable and also has great heat retention. I've always liked the idea of a drip station. I'm not sure about the filter...you have more experience than I do. I would think the gold filters might be more effective on a cost control aspect, but you would need several of them to run the bar effeciently..paper filters, you just throw them away. But which one produces a better cup of coffee?
I'd deffinitely build your own, so far, the ones I have looked at that are pre-fab are not very cool to look at and, you can definitely do it for cheaper and get very creative!
that's my take on the subject.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service