At Lemonjello's we have a fair amount of teas- bagged, loose leaf, and mate's. I've always liked tea, but lately I feel like I want to up my tea expertise. I know the basics: how tea is made, the attributes of mate, caffeine content, brewing temps, what the term "first pick" is (I spent the summer with a family who spends hundreds of dollars on teas), basically just enough to not sound like an idiot.

I still feel like if I went to a tea shop in Japan (which I've actually done before, but the people I was with knew what they were talking about so I didn't talk at all...) people would look at me like I was drinking lipton.

For all the tea experts out there, what's the next step? What books should I read, what should I look for in tea, whats the jargon....basically what's your advice! :)

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adagio puts out an online tea class. It will give you just a little more about the basics including history, differences, brewing, etc. It is divided up into topical sections with multiple choice comprehension checks following each section. I suggest taking it. The website is appropriately named:
www.teaclass.com

I thought it was a great condensed version and moderately in depth intro to the world of tea. If you are an owner/manager, you may want to take the class, and then depending on how you like it, require/suggest your employees to take it. You can create a different username that allows you to track your employees progress. Maybe offer them a reward or something if they finish it. Have fun with it! The more you can encourage your employees to continue learning about the business in their time off, the better employees you will have. Your employees should be able to understand it and be able to discuss differences with customers and field questions. This should (read theoretically) lead to an increase in sales. If the customer sees that your employees care, are willing to help educate them, and can make killer drinks on top of that, you will probably set your shop apart from your local competition. Good luck!
if you are looking for some amazing teas to open your taste for I would recommend http://www.teachaite.com

Ive been to their shop in Portland and are one of my favorite places to get tea.
Thanks Daniel! I checked out that website and it looks great. I'm no an owner/manager, just a regular old employee (and tea drinker!). :)

Ryan: you can order that tea online right? Are you interested in some if I'm ordering it anyway?
Maggie, if you get a chance - get to the world tea expo next year in Las Vegas. I've exhibited there for 5 years and learned a lot. Also, look up the Tea group on yahoo.com groups. It's full of tea professionals.
Whoops - almost forgot - some other sites and people to check out would be:
The Teacup in Seattle - Elisabeth Knottingham is well reneowned in tea and has a ton of teas on her site.
Beth Johnston at Teas etc has a great site.
Also look at Teausa.org - they are the tea association. If you really want to get crazy look at STI - Speciatly Tea Institute for certification on tea.
Mike.
TeaGschwender in Chicago is almost unbeatable.
Maggie Cook said:

I'm no an owner/manager, just a regular old employee (and tea drinker!). :)

Well, you may suggest it to the manager. It's always nice for them to know their employees are taking the initiative to educate themselves off the clock. Your manager should be happy to take the course himself, and then have the other employees follow suit. Employee knowledge is at least as valuable as great customer service because it promotes 1) education among customers 2) sales 3) distinction among your local competitors.
Missed that one - Charles is fantastic!

Daniel Williamson said:
Those guys know their stuff, can field any question under the sun, explain differences easily and are APPROACHABLE, not intimidating. If I was half as interested in tea as I am coffee, then they would be the number 1 place I would want to go to develop my craft.

Mike Spence said:
Missed that one - Charles is fantastic!

Daniel Williamson said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service