What are the differences between the Cona and Yama vacuum pots? I realize that they differ greatly in price. But why?

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am told it is the quality of the glass. A Yama will (supposedly) shatter if exposed to a cool rag while the bottom chamber is still hot if that is a method you use to achieve temperature stability. A Hario - and likely a Cona - will not shatter. Then again, I've never tested this on our Yamas.
I have been using the Yama TCA-5 for the last six months. While the Yama does not get super frequent use, i do use the cool rag method and have yet to have an issue with it. Rich, what kind of brew protocols are you using?
We're still experimenting. We've had solid results at 14-16 g per 5oz cup at a fairly fine grind a bit short of espresso. We had been using 12g, but that wasn't working for Centrals or non-natural processed Africans. We're not using our bar grinders for the vac pot - it's either a Bunn bulk (one dot short of espresso) or a cheap home Leilo Ariete (one notch from finest). When we go into full production with a tasting bar, we'll use a dedicated grinder, probably a Mazzer Mini or similar.

Drawdown - no towel, about a minute. Temp profile is something we haven't had solid control on yet, so there may yet be more improvement on the cup, but the cups being produced are already very good.
Another difference is the inclusion of the glass "filter" rod. My Yama shipped with a cloth filter (stretched over a steel disk) that is held in place with a spring. The Cona ships with the glass rod "filter".

That being said, the Yama is supposed to work with the Cona's rod, which can be purchased separately (for almost as much as the Yama brewer). Have you guys done this? What was the effect in the cup?
I have a Cory glass filter rod and a Hario with the same cloth filter as is included with the Yama. The cloth takes more maintenance, but it produces a cleaner cup, in my opinion.

The glass filter is a nice idea, and if it filtered as well as cloth, and if it didn't jut so far up into the dwell chamber, I might prefer it.
Just a caution Brady, according to Sweet Maria's, where I purchase my Yama 5-cup tabletop, the Cona rod filter will not fit the Yama. Personally, though, I am loving the clean cup that is the result of the cloth filter. It is the complete opposite of a French Press, you can actually pass light through a cup of cloth-filtered coffee!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service