Hi I'm a student in London and a barista, it's been a big problem for me to find a good espresso here. Does anyone know of a good place that I could go too? I'll run out of coffee (that I brought here from my cafe back home) soon enough HELP!!!

~Haffi

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i dunno about cafes, but there is an exceptionally good shop to buy coffee beans etc, called Monmouths in Covent Garden.
I've had good coffee at http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/
they have location in covent garden and the borough
they do serve espresso and drip - here are some pics of our experience:

http://fincavistahermosa.wordpress.com/2006/09/14/fresh-off-the-press/
If you head to my site: www.tropicalsaloon.com, there's a bunch of places listed, photographed, reviewed.

Basically, there are a few really great places, but not many.

Listed in my personal order of preference:

- Flat White (espresso)
- Monmouth (filters, all 3 stores)
- Climpson & Sons (depending on who's working, and whether they're too busy)
- Fernandez & Wells
- Gwylim (stall at Columbia Rd Market)

I'm a barista, based in London, and can help you out further if you can tell me what area you're in.
i reckon tim has got it about right, though i would put gwilym a little higher in the list. ask for Jack at F&W.
tea and coffee plant on portobello road worth a visit if you find yourself out west.
if you around for a while i predict east london will become showcase for london coffee - especially if i can persuade jenni from gimme to come back to england.
Hi Haffi,

Very good point--not as a rule. I'm originally from Sydney and you can get excellent coffee there. Having travelled widely I think Melbourne and Sydney are the best places to get coffee in the world. The English simply cannot make coffee....which surprises me because its not that difficult to get it right!

You can however get a nice cup of tea here.

I've tried Flat White and Brew and unless you're lucky enough to get an Australian making the coffee, its still crap.

By the way, Flat White staff need to lose their attitude...your coffee is OK but isn't as good as, say Wall Cafe in Surry Hills, Sydney (Genovese). And what ever gave them the right to price hike their flat white (its just a standard coffee). Brew do it with their flat white as well.

Andrew
There is exceptionally good and cheap espresso at Cafe Noho (22 Cleveland St) in London. They charge £1 for a good sized latte.
The English simply cannot make coffee..

*Paging James Hoffmann...*
Tim Styles said:

Beautiful!
the one and only good place in London; square mile coffee roasters!!!
except him self...
Brady said:
Tim Styles said:

Beautiful!
I spent some time in London last year and examined the coffee scene there somewhat. Monmouth I found to be excellent, as was Flat White. But my favorite place, by far, was Fernandez and Wells. It's a small cafe near Picadilly (if memory serves) on Beak St. A very relaxed feel, good fresh food, and excellent coffee. I believe their coffee is roasted by Monmouth (could be wrong) and they're pulling shots on a Synesso. Excellent coffee, great service, terrific food, and not a drop of pretention.
um yea... square mile

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service