Water Filtration Systems: The Good, the Bad, and the Tasty.

I'm in the process of shopping for a water filter/processing system for my coffeehouse. I see that there are many types of systems on the market from simple to complex, many with their own claim to fame. I read "Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ" to understand the process, and have spoken with a few sales persons from water treatment vendors.

What water treatment systems are you using? Are some brands more highly rated than others in real-life use? I know that the choice of treatment "process" largely depends on my local water quality, but I'm interested in learning what water treatment brands make people (and their espresso) happy.

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our roaster recommends the little Cuno softener/filter unit for stores in our area.

That said, we've gone with a pair of Whirlpool home-style sediment filters that we got a Lowes - 1 for the ice machine, the other for cold water, drip brewer, and espresso machine. We were going to go more exotic, but that's what our espresso machine had been running on happily for the 7 years of service prior to our purchasing it... seemed silly to spend more. Keep in mind that our municipal water is well inside the "soft" range. After consulting the aforementioned ILW-FAQ, we decided that this approach would probably result in the best balance of flavor/machine considerations.

I think it works. My coffee is pretty happy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service