I run a coffee blog in Melbourne which I’ve recently expanded to include reviews of coffee beans. The aim is to buy different types of beans, brew the coffee myself and review.

Being fairly new to this I’m not sure of the best way to brew the coffee for review. I have an old (cheap) coffee machine which I believe doesn’t do the coffee justice. My other options are a plunger or a stove top coffee brewer.

Can anyone provide a bit of guidance please.

BTW have already placed my Christmas order for a new machine plus a home Barista course. This is of course dependent on my wife taking the hint !

http://www.ozcoffex.com/

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mr dave which kind of coffee beans you are buying is it roasted already or fresh beans, which coffee you love the most to drink espresso, americano or latte? you have to consider it so anybody can diagnose which grinding point, coffee dose and time of extraction etc will suit in your taste... however if it is for experiment, its better to buy a good espresso machine rather than a plunger or coffee brewer..
Hi Dave,

I'd suggest first that you look around and try to find a shop or roaster in your area that does open cuppings. Go to a couple and learn what you can about the coffee evaluation process. There are a couple more locals on here, maybe they could help you. The knowledge gained in a few of these sessions would serve you well.

Are you referring to beans that would be used for a cup of "drip", or are you referring to espresso? The rest of my response assumes that you don't mean espresso... so hope I guessed right.

Your most straightforward way to evaluate coffees is the standard cupping method. All that would be required is a good grinder and a kettle. That said, the method I really prefer is the French Press - as it yields something that is a little more of a "standard cup". Both will require a good grinder, which should be your focus.

Good luck.
Definitely start with a traditional cupping method. Very easy to pull off without any needed investment really... no machinery necessary... you could most likely just use some household items and set up a cupping station on your kitchen table! Piece o' cake.

Think about the demographic you're trying to reach... how would they be brewing these coffees? French press and/or little drip brewers I'd guess... consider taking the time to brew the coffees one or both of these ways and reviewing them accordingly. Good luck!
Hi, Thanks to those who took the time to reply - appreciated. Have booked in for a "Home Barista Course" early in the new year. Had a chat to my local supplier who runnings cupping sessions one a month.

Again thanks for your help

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service