I've got an awesome local dairy I'd like to approach. There milk is unbelievably sweet and delicious. However, it is unhomogenized. Does anyone have experience using unhomogenized milk in either a home or commercial setting for espresso-based drinks? Any advice or info would be appreciated...

Dave

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you'd have to shake it, and shake it well. The fat particles are too large to be really permanently mixed into the milk, but who knows how frothing would affect this feature. Perhaps the slightly denatured proteins would be enough to stabilize the homogeneity after frothing.

I would love to try it, and if I were in your shoes, I'd do a test run with it, regardless of what anyone puts in this here talkin' box.
I just got back from the spro down in Chicago. It was sponsored by Blue Marble Farms out of Wisconsin. The milk was unhomogenized and it was a pain to shake it really well before every use. However it did taste pretty sweet and seemed to be of better quality that your normal grocery store milk.

On one hand, I think we have an awesome opportunity to help out our local farmers, but on the other hand, if you are a halfway busy coffee shop, you can't spend 20 seconds per drink shaking up your milk... and not to mention serving cold drinks. I don't think customers are going to appreciate having chunky milk.
I've used it in the eastern regional barista competition this past june, and I intend to use it in 3 weeks for the national competition. It's great! When steamed, it does indeed stabilize the homogeneity of the milk. Not to mention it's delish.

Try it out :)
I've been keeping a little personal stock of either castle rock or cedar summit farms non-homogenized milk , both out of WI, to make my own 6 oz. capps. It turns out really delicious! you have to shake it a little bit before hand like everyone else is saying, But I haven't had any problems with chunkiness in iced drink or after steaming.. It also steams really well, and has a delicious sweetness to it that not comparable to traditional milk.
Thanks for the info, everyone. Looks like I've got a bit of experimenting to do. Both our shops are pretty busy (250-400 drinks per day), so the amount of "shaking time" is a concern. Thanks again!
....another issue may be that the fat content is not adjusted to the standard of 3.25%, causig some differences and slight inconsistancies. We use all local milk and don't really have to shake too much, no chunks and the customers love it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service