In the past 6 months i have been researching and talking to people in the industry about temperature stability in espresso machines. As far as i know machines such as la marzocco, dalla corte and the synesso machines boast a very stable, very consistant temperature within the boiler(s), but how does that data apply to the stability in the actual group head and how consistant can that temperature be maintained when pulling continuous shots?

On the other hand, i have bumped into a few people in the industry that say they do not prefer these temperature stable machines, but machines with single boiler with a fluctuating temperature saying this method is better for the extraction.

Does anyone have any thoughts on stability Vs fluctuating tempertures and the actual tempertures in the group?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Temp stability is one stop on a frontier mission of change in coffee. A fluctuation in temp means a fluctuation in extraction. This means that, throughout your shot, there is a variance in the level of solids and oils being extracted. I work on both exchangers and dual boilers and find it quite a bit harder to have actual control over the variance in temperature throughout the extraction, which means that it's much harder to get a consistent set of results in numerous extractions. When I am training I tell people that hitting the "bulls eye" is only the first step; like an accurate marksman, a barista's job is to consistently pull shots in that "bulls eye" ring. I think that dual boilers are a great way to control one more factor leading to consistent, quality extractions. I think we will, someday, get to the point where controlled variance in temperature and even pressure will be examined in terms of desirability and we can determine then if it is beneficial, but for now it seems that temperature stability is a huge step in the right direction. The proof is in the cup, and I find that the best bet is to go with a dual boiler, typically.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service