who has a new total for the amount of sugar to be put into a coffee? the most i've been asked for was 7, and he was a chef by trade! wonder what his cooking was like!

at times, i must admit, it seems sacrilege to be timing a shot and then to have to put all that sugar into it. but if we all liked the same, the world would be a sorry place to live.

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is absolutely amazing how many chefs don't "get" good coffee. The number of those that do is increasing but coffee just doesn't get the culinary respect it should receive. I see it on its way to a sort of "wine status" but we are still far from that goal.
A couple came in to our cafe a few months ago and asked for 2 large coffees with room for sugar.
Me - "you mean room for cream?".
Them (grinning) - "no, we add lots of sugar, so can you leave us plenty of room?"

At this point I'm more curious than anything else... so I leave them about an inch at the top of each 20oz cup. They get their coffee and go to the condiment bar. The guy starts unscrewing the lid from the mostly full sugar jar (which is the pretty standard metal topped sugar dispenser). The woman dumps at least 4 ounces out of each cup and into the trash can (#$%&!). They then add almost the entire contents of the sugar jar to their 2 cups of coffee. It was at least 1/2 cup of sugar in each one, no exaggeration. Craziest thing I ever saw, I almost feel like they were messing with us. Never saw them again.

Sugar is strange. It seems to be a very natural for people to start adding a sugar or two to inferior coffee, but seems rare to see someone cut back - even when faced with a cup of the good stuff. Its bizarre to me that people would rather switch to a fake, awful-tasting, unwholesome artificial sweetener than to just adapt their palate and get used to things being less sweet.
totally so!

Dave White said:
I think it is absolutely amazing how many chefs don't "get" good coffee. The number of those that do is increasing but coffee just doesn't get the culinary respect it should receive. I see it on its way to a sort of "wine status" but we are still far from that goal.
oh my god! i agree with the sweetners too, the taste of those things, i just don't understand it!

Brady said:
A couple came in to our cafe a few months ago and asked for 2 large coffees with room for sugar.
Me - "you mean room for cream?".
Them (grinning) - "no, we add lots of sugar, so can you leave us plenty of room?"

At this point I'm more curious than anything else... so I leave them about an inch at the top of each 20oz cup. They get their coffee and go to the condiment bar. The guy starts unscrewing the lid from the mostly full sugar jar (which is the pretty standard metal topped sugar dispenser). The woman dumps at least 4 ounces out of each cup and into the trash can (#$%&!). They then add almost the entire contents of the sugar jar to their 2 cups of coffee. It was at least 1/2 cup of sugar in each one, no exaggeration. Craziest thing I ever saw, I almost feel like they were messing with us. Never saw them again.

Sugar is strange. It seems to be a very natural for people to start adding a sugar or two to inferior coffee, but seems rare to see someone cut back - even when faced with a cup of the good stuff. Its bizarre to me that people would rather switch to a fake, awful-tasting, unwholesome artificial sweetener than to just adapt their palate and get used to things being less sweet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service