Dunn Bros Coffee specializes on freshly roasting coffee beans on-site in each of its stores. Most locations use industrial grade 75-pound "San Franciscan" roasters. Not all, but most kind of beans are roasted every day and are rotated after sitting for three days, which then they are brewed for the Coffees of the Day or used to make cold-press toddy.

Most all of Dunn Bros shops emphasize "milk texturizing" and all, if not most, of their espresso machines are manual dosage and aren't super-automatics.

This Xerxes Ave store is a franchised shop run by private owners but with light management from Dunn Bros' corporate offices in downtown Minneapolis. There are only two stores that run completely under corporate ownership.

Awards:
City Pages - Readers' Choice Best Coffee Shop 2000-2006
City Pages - Best Coffee by the Pound 2004, 2005
Mpls-St. Paul Mag - 2005, 2006

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was never much of a fan of Dunn Bros. when I lived in MPLS. The coffee always struck me as a little burnt, but I am always willing to try again when I visit.
Dunn Bros. as a whole is tough to quantify because the individual stores are franchised. I'm familiar with the roasting program for this particular shop (and the one in Linden Hills - 43rd & Upton) and I find promise in their full city roasts. Admittedly, I find the espresso beverages to be inconsistent so I encourage everyone to enjoy a french press and the atmosphere... at these two shops.
Good point Shawn. The shops I am familiar with are the Eliot Park shop at 811 11th Av. S. and the Freight House location at 201 3rd Ave. When I was there I don't think they had french press, in fact I think they were holding the coffee in carafes on the burners, which I suspected accounted for the flavor. A lot can change in 6 years too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service