Reading the back of commercial smoothie bases or ice cream is torturous, because half of the ingredients have names and origins unknown and unpronounceable. I'm trying to develop a smoothie base that would be easy enough to make in-house, but would still be easy to use. Shelf-life isn't an issue, since I could make batches just big enough (already do that with our baked goods, our roastery, and our chai), so no strange preservatives are needed. What do you all do to achieve good thick consistency and a (close-to) neutral flavor?

Views: 1530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After a couple days of experimentation, evaporated milk is out for us. Plenty of creaminess, nice emulsion, but flat flavor that requires a lot of extra syrup to overcome. Not going to work for us. Too bad, too, it held a lot of promise.

Back to the drawing board!
Aww, that's a shame.

So, how many people here would be up for a group buy of some carageenan?

Russ Warren said:
After a couple days of experimentation, evaporated milk is out for us. Plenty of creaminess, nice emulsion, but flat flavor that requires a lot of extra syrup to overcome. Not going to work for us. Too bad, too, it held a lot of promise.

Russ Warren said:

What about adding plain old sugar to the evap? Still haven't tried it myself, so just asking.

Gonna ramp up the search for a local source for some of the other options... Jason, we may be in for that group buy. Lets look around for minimums and prices.
I'm slightly ahead of you.

I've already started searching for suppliers who seem to potentially be able to offer a small enough quantity.

We'll see what I hear back from them. I've done a whole lot of experimenting for a frappe base, and nothing I tried ever "held up" the way a natural emulsifier can. Separation may have slowed by a few seconds, but it was ultimately unavoidable.

Brady said:
Russ Warren said:

What about adding plain old sugar to the evap? Still haven't tried it myself, so just asking.

Gonna ramp up the search for a local source for some of the other options... Jason, we may be in for that group buy. Lets look around for minimums and prices.
has anyone dared to venture into using a soft-serve ice cream's powder base? it might taste artificial and the quality is lacking. the only upside it has are the emulsifier and stabilizer attributes.
Guar gum is also a great emulsifier, and I believe it can be found in smaller quantities in health food stores.

I haven't tried it yet, but after seeing its effects on a can of coconut milk, I'd imagine it would do the trick.

The carageenan search didn't work out so well. (obviously)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service