Hello fellow BXers
I have used the craigslist route for the last 5-6 years. I have had mixed results. I have posted on barista exchange as well. No responses. Any other ideas? Jeeez it shouldn't be so hard to find good employees in barista mecca Portland. Thanks Brendan

Views: 17

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i am in the same boat. I think your best bet is to have a more intensive screening process. I always threaten to do that, but then I am always strapped to fill the position. it would probably be better to say interview a lot more candidates, and then bring them in for a 2 hour tryout. Do things like make a mess and see who cleans it up...just basic stuff to see who has the integrity. then when you make your decision, put your employee on a probation period and STICK to it. have regular one on meetings (something I have not been very good about doing). Remember, you are creating a team, and good communication is the best way to ensure everybody knows what is expected of them.

another thing I've noticed is I get a lot more responses when I have the possibility of a full time position. If you're able to offer that, it would probably help your chances.
Well, what do you offer that your competition doesn't? Especially in a city like Portland, where Stumpies, Albina, and others have a pretty good foothold on the coffee scene, what can you do for your employees that these other companies cant? Better pay? More opportunites within the community of specialty coffee? etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service