Man, this place is cool. As far as overall cafe experience is concerned, this is the best place in boston. Famous in the North End, and all around town for that matter, Caffe Vittoria ranks above all for atmosphere. Sporting six functioning espresso machines, and about a hundred relics from ye olden days, walking in is like time traveling. Great espresso, healthy crema and rich color. Taste reminds me of dark roasted hazelnuts. I asked the barista why my double shot was so big, and his response was a little unsettling. Tourists in the area were disappointed that the drink they ordered was small (hey what did you think espresso was?!), so as a result they just pour longer shots/pull an extra one. I still think this is BS, but if you ask about it they'll happily pull you traditional shots. Guess they have to pay the bills somehow. They offer gelato, but I've never tried it. Prices are a little steeper, but reflective of the touristy neighborhood that surrounds it. I can't drink, but friends say the grappa is phenomenal in addition to many other liqueurs that they offer. Take a stroll around while you're there, the left hand section and rear are very old world cafe, while the right is a more traditional bar layout.
Goddamn I love this place.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great Place, I was there last october on a trip to Boston, my friend took me there and I couldn't agree more, and my double espresso was traditional size, rich golden crema, and the neighbourhood that surrounds your coffee experience is a plus!
I'm planning to go there again in November. Voted #1 Espresso place in Boston so I've heard.
When I lived in Boston from 99-01, I loved Vittoria and always wanted to mimic it somewhere else - except with better coffee. But as you can order a 'buca on the side and the pastries and atmosphere are great, I always forgave them the bitter cup. Much as I'm not a big fan of indoor smoking, it was a loss when they had to close the cigar room downstairs. Is the big, bald, tattooed dude still FOH manager?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service