So, with regional competition coming up fast, in the U.S., I'm finding that people are getting ready for competition already. I've been practicing for a couple months now. I love my job and I love my customers even more. I'm excited to include them in the frenzy of coffee and introduce them to both the professional and competitive worlds of specialty coffee. I sometimes feel monotonous with how I explain competition. I'm always trying to keep myself from being "that barista" that explains everything the same, everytime, everyday, to every customer that asks. Now,... with that being said,...how do I keep myself from being burned out? Between eight hour bar shifts, and then six hours practicing 2-3 times a week, sometimes I don't want to step near a coffee shop (which is hard in Seattle)

yay competition.

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ALEX!
You've been practicin for a few months already? I guess your regional happens sooner than down here, but you got mad game, boy!
Have you competed before? I think 18 hours of practice a week is a bit overkill, but then again, there's people that practice year round, and thats what they do. As far as getting burnt out, remember to not take it that seriously. Just think of what you're doing for a minute, and place that in the large scheme of things: Sounds a tad trite, doesn't it? Baristas getting all excited/heartbroken/angry over 15 mins of making sweet coffee love. I know last year I was extremely burnt by time comp rolled around, and it definitely effected my performance (alongside my mundane sig drink). Keep it light and easy, and just remember that this is all supposed to be fun.
Oh, and listen to some Misfits. I dunno why, but Danzig just puts me in the right mood.
Hahaha, I started waaay early for different reasons. I actually started prepping for competition in March. From the rumors I've been hearing, competition isn't for a really long time. I'm a couple weeks out from doing full run throughs. I'm really excited. A lot of my research and prep work (i.e. placements, looking for better ingredients, better utensils and settings, etc) is done in my practice time. But I'd rather do this now and then relax before competition just working on cleaning the routine and detailing different elements.

Another thing is that I love this. I'm definitely having a blast! I'm just worried about the possibility of being burned out. Today I was suppose to train for 5 hours (according to me)... I ended it early because I couldn't convince myself to pay attention to the small details enough. I decided that it wasn't a good training day, and packed my stuff up. I feel that it's not a good idea for me to pause my training. I'll have to completely kick my own @$$ to get back into the routine... maybe not?

Benza Lance said:
ALEX!
You've been practicin for a few months already? I guess your regional happens sooner than down here, but you got mad game, boy!
Have you competed before? I think 18 hours of practice a week is a bit overkill, but then again, there's people that practice year round, and thats what they do. As far as getting burnt out, remember to not take it that seriously. Just think of what you're doing for a minute, and place that in the large scheme of things: Sounds a tad trite, doesn't it? Baristas getting all excited/heartbroken/angry over 15 mins of making sweet coffee love. I know last year I was extremely burnt by time comp rolled around, and it definitely effected my performance (alongside my mundane sig drink). Keep it light and easy, and just remember that this is all supposed to be fun.
Barista competitions are supposed to be competitive and fun. Serious and enjoyable.

Consider each shift on the bar your training. If your cafe owner agrees; try to make your espressos to competition standards, add your signature drink and traditional cappuccino to the menu board and practice your customer interaction with each consumer you serve.

The best competition baristas make the 15 minutes look easy and effortless. Your drinks MUST taste exceptional to win, however poise, confidence, enthusiasm and passion for what you are doing are a large part of winning.

Relax - watch a few videos of past competitions, and always remember why you are doing this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service