Here at LAMILL (lah-mill) we are currently using the Teflon coated portafilters, and just started using a steam wand of the same. We have seen some immediate downsides to the portafilters, if you take the baskets out after pulling a few dozen shots on them, the underside gets considerably more residue much, much faster. After about 25 shots the bottom is slightly black, at 50 they turn dark black, and at about 75 they are starting to close the holes around the outside of the basket.

So as a remedy we are very proactive about cleaning our baskets throughout the day. My real thought is this, is stainless a better solution? And are the steam wands going to have any similar problems?

(BTW, our portafilters are only covered on the inside.)

Please feel free to point out any other issues that you think may be pertinent.

R.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I don't get why you would use teflon baskets. SS ones are very easy to use and keep clean. There could potentially be a benefit in the steam wand... milk residue would be easier to remove if it wasn't wiped immediately, but there is no good reason not to (and several good reasons to) wipe it immediately anyway. I'm just stumped.

Maybe this is just one of many ideas that looked good on paper?

The other issue that I'd consider would be any potential for flaking as it wears, especially the rim where the basket rubs against the grouphead gasket.
I think he's using teflon coated PFs, not baskets. Never tried the teflon coated PFs myself. Not sure of the benefit of teflon coated steam wands. Never had a problem with the stainless.
Ray Hencken said:
I think he's using teflon coated PFs, not baskets. Never tried the teflon coated PFs myself. Not sure of the benefit of teflon coated steam wands. Never had a problem with the stainless.

Ahh... that makes more sense. It was the SS part that threw me... didn't know they made SS portafilters.
we like the fully stainless steel PFs better than teflon which is just a nasty chemical.

the main benefit over SS coated brass is FAARRRR less cleaning needed, less staining and no off putting brass flavors plus they are a lot lighter.
not sure of the downsides...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service