I work at a micro-roaster with a cafe in the front where I pull shots. Our roaster is a 15lbs capacity and we're pretty small scale but expanding all the time. This is my first an only position as a barista and have been doing for over a year now.

My question is; do other cafes/espresso bars out there have the same amount of daily taste variations on their espresso as my places?

We age our spro in sealed bags untill about the 9th day mark before using it and usually use each batch by the 12th day. Each batch there's different variations and each day of the batch it tastes a bit different. Some days it's fruit bombs, others it's crazy bodied. It all tastes great but there is variation. My customers, esp my daily espresso drinkers, really like this and the day to day change and variation. So I ask, is it possible to have your shots taste exactly the same day to day?

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a bit of a tricky question, I'll try and answer it without getting to scientific. To answer the question, yes it is possible to get the exact taste, it's all relevant in the bean you use and the time you age it. After the bean is roasted thats when it starts the de-gassing process, if you try espresso the day it's roasted, it will taste a bit stronger due to the the gas, after day 1 gas starts to leave you notice a bit of a more mellow taste, keep in ming that grinding the bean also speeds up the de-gassing process.If your beans and roaster are consistent along with the way you prep your coffee there shouldn't be much of a difference in shot taste, but keep in mind we are all humans and prone to make mistakes,on another scientific note the temperature everything affects the bean, I hope this gives you a bit more of understanding.If you want more details feel free to write me back.I don't wanna cludder the board with my logic and reasons, we could be here all day.How about a bag of espresso? :-D
no you can not have exactly the same taste every day forever.

at least not on earth.

every aspect of green coffee, roasting, espresso and weather change continuously.

ride it baby and have fun.

although if the espresso flavors are changing RADICALLY from great to bad all the time week to week and you are certain that your equipment is perfect and your technique is to then ask the roaster dude if he is changing his profiles weekly.
One factor that is often overlooked in espresso flavor profile is blending and the statistical probably of bean combinations. This is eliminated with SO espressos, but any blended espresso can have exasperating numerations in its makeup.
For example, we have an espresso with beans A, B, and C. Some basic statistical possibities given that thare three beans in each shot (not realistic, but for example) we could have
AAA
BCB
ABC
CAC
Now multiply that by how many beans actually end up in the portafilter and you get a picture of how "impossible" it is to have the same shot every time you pull it. Not to mention all the machine and and slight dosing/tamping and other variations that can contribute to the shot characteristics.
I work at a cafe with a roastery in the back and our coffee changes almost constantly too. I would suggest speaking with your roasters to make sure no flavor profiles have changed, and also find out what the weather was like when roasting that batch, whether they were hung over one day, if they used a different blend/bean, etc etc etc. It used to irk me somewhat fierce that the coffee would change as much as it did, until I began keeping up with why. Now I know (almost all the time) exactly what the blend is and what the conditions were when roasting. Also, if you use an espresso blend and not a single origin, I would suggest pulling shots of all of the single origins that go into the blend, so you can know their flavor profiles and can determine if you are getting too much or not enough of certain flavors/beans but I think Chris did a good job of explaining that one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service