Your New Coffee Shop, What would you do different on the next one?

Ok, After being open for a year or two or....? What would you do different on your next shop before opening the doors? I know you have all thought about this. I have been open for going on a year and a half and I think about it every day. I'm in the process of consulting and helping set up a combination drive thru and sit down cafe. I don't want to see my oversights repeated with this shop..

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joesph, my shop isn't open yet but I know I will have many things that I will want to have done differently after beiing open for a year.
Can you share what some of yours are? Sounds like a drive through window is an untapped source of "traffic".
I wonder for myself if the drive through window, while a great source of additional customers, doesn't somehow dilute the coffeehouse experience.
I am currently reading the book Everything but the Coffee. It discusses how Starbucks became unauthentic to coffee. After having gone public, they brought in many execs from the fast food industry to help raise the bottom line. This makes me wonder how much of the drive through window concept makes a coffee house feel like a Jack in the Box.
What are your thoughs?
Crud. A thread I can't post on... :) But one I look forward to reading!
I'm looking forward to adding my 2 cents to this post I started when I get a break longer than time to eat a bowl of potato salad.
I will take time to say to Wes that it is my challenge and goal to combine a drive thru and a sit down with cup quality and service of the highest specialty coffee order. I have seen it before so I know it can be done. My concept of the drive thru is a convenience for the early morning coffee folk who what a high quality cup to carry them another 30 mile drive. Where I live there is no quality coffee for a 40 to 60 mile highway span. I totally understand what you mean Wes with the downtown drive thru average shop. I can see it hard to focus on one or the other. There are many considerations when trying to excel at both at the same time. It takes careful planning and design to make it work. Not to mention a bunch of $.
Joseph
--
Ambassador for Specialty Coffee and palate reform
There is a big difference between working the front end and working the back end. Front end of a coffee house I would refer to as taking money, barista, outside sales, dealing with customers etc. Back end might include the bakery, maintenance, bookkeeping, you have my gist. Most of my time is spent front end. So what I notice is lacking now is counter space, more 220 outlets for more grinders, more counter space, did I say that again? Room for two to work with out traffic accidents with liquids in your hands. I want my grinders to be at a right angle to the espresso machines or 180 degrees. Right now one grinder is to the left of my Aurelia and the decaf grinder is 180 on the other counter. It will depend on the design and layout and ultimately sq.ft. total to work with. If I can cut myself away I need to spend more time in other shops to watch the front end flow and the barista dance step they use. Just some thoughts for starters.
Joseph
--
Ambassador for Specialty Coffee and palate reform.
Thanks Paul,
Your input is crucial to me because I know you and others on this list get out and see how other shops operate. Right now I am "chained" so to speak to my front end. I don't mind the chained part, ;=) because I love people and I learn a lot from my across the counter encounters. Now you guys are way more on the cutting edge because you see and compare other operations. This is what I did for a year or more before opening, there is nothing like learning from others. Now this list is my eyes and ears....
Cheers,
Joe
--

Paul Yates said:
Crud. A thread I can't post on... :) But one I look forward to reading!
I'm sort of with Chris here...haven't opened yet, but very curious what responses develop with this thread.

I will say that being from the Phoenix area, I hadn't seen any of the truly world class 3rd wave shops until this last weekend, when I traveled to LA and got to experience Intelligentsia in Venice. I was blown away. I don't have the capital budget to execute what they did there, but it did give me an excellent long range goal.
Steve,
In many ways I envy you guys who are in the early planning stages. A careful business plan can go a long ways to a smooth opening and a happy first year. The time is right and ripe for ( I don't like time stopping labels) the "third wave" speciality coffee shops done well. It sounds like your on the right track by comparing high end shops like Intelligentsia to what you have locally. Based on how I did our first year in a bad location in a town of 2k or not much more, you should rock them in your town with a good location Steve.

Steve Belt said:
I'm sort of with Chris here...haven't opened yet, but very curious what responses develop with this thread.

I will say that being from the Phoenix area, I hadn't seen any of the truly world class 3rd wave shops until this last weekend, when I traveled to LA and got to experience Intelligentsia in Venice. I was blown away. I don't have the capital budget to execute what they did there, but it did give me an excellent long range goal.
Ahh, more thoughts on what I would/will do different next build out.
Electrical Plan notes.....All LED lighting. They have some very efficient bulbs/fixtures out now. Very low power consumption. Quite high initial cost but fantastic pay back in cost of monthly electrical bill. Also new fan technology for Cold cases. Most of the new ones come with them already. My Grocer accross the street where I get my milk told me he had all the cold cases in the store switched out and his electrical savings was very substantial.
Green as green can be the new construction standards.
Joseph
--
Everything to stay.
No sizes. Each drink has it's proper size.
No flavors.
Just the basics.
What would I do differently next time:

- better capitalization
- more thorough training for staff
- greater focus on customer service/experience
- multiple roasters
- wider selection of coffees
- multiple brew methods
- coffees made to order, by the cup
- refined environment
- progressive thinking
- classic yet progressive decor focused on coffee
- no music
- no live music
- no televisions
- no WiFi
- welcoming baristas
- selection of brew methods for home
- coffee lab for testing & experimentation
- greater coffee awareness through cupping
- focused food menu
- 34" high counters for better interaction with customers
- 34" high brew station with integral storage, hot water, grinder and waste basin
- dipwell next to espresso machine
- integrated pitcher rinser, soda fountain & drip tray
- refrigerated drawers for cold milk and pitchers
- greater focus on quality ingredients
- greater commitment to sourcing
- greater focus on crafting our syrups and products in-house

Happily, these have all been incorporated into the new place we're going to open in the coming weeks!
Jay,

I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world. I hope I will be able to get to you shop someday. Sounds like it is going to be something very special. Your heart is obviously totally invested.

Jay Caragay said:
What would I do differently next time: - better capitalization
- more thorough training for staff
- greater focus on customer service/experience
- multiple roasters
- wider selection of coffees
- multiple brew methods
- coffees made to order, by the cup
- refined environment
- progressive thinking
- classic yet progressive decor focused on coffee
- no music
- no live music
- no televisions
- no WiFi
- welcoming baristas
- selection of brew methods for home
- coffee lab for testing & experimentation
- greater coffee awareness through cupping
- focused food menu
- 34" high counters for better interaction with customers
- 34" high brew station with integral storage, hot water, grinder and waste basin
- dipwell next to espresso machine
- integrated pitcher rinser, soda fountain & drip tray
- refrigerated drawers for cold milk and pitchers
- greater focus on quality ingredients
- greater commitment to sourcing
- greater focus on crafting our syrups and products in-house

Happily, these have all been incorporated into the new place we're going to open in the coming weeks!
Joseph-

I guess I could weigh in on biz model changes I've made over the last 6 months of planning:

- adding a pour bar over as the primary "drip" brew method
- upgraded quality of grinders for espresso
- working on upgrading grinder for drip (have a Bunn G3, trying to get a Guatelama)
- practice, practice, practice

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service