I'm looking at very small batch commercial roasters. Prices are also really annoying to find. 

What are the prices for/which is better:

Diedrich IR-2.5

San Franciscan 6lb

Us Roaster Corp. 3 kilo

Views: 8553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just got contact with diedrich on the IR-2.5. I thought it would be around 6,000...but instead it's like, 9,000. wow. 

Prices are found by picking up the phone. Which is better is impossible to answer, all 3 are quality built. That said IMO the USRCs can roast closer to and even above rated capacity with good control while Diedrichs tend to need to keep batch size below rated capacity. Don't have personal hands experience with San Frans.

I routinely do 7 to 7.3lb batches in my USRC 3k to yield 6lb post roast. (3k=6.6lb rating). Roast and cool previous batch simultaneously allowing 3+ batches per hour non-stop hour after hour. Currently only roasting 350-400lb per week with plenty of capacity to spare. Routinely do 12 to 18 batches a session, most I've done one session IIRC 22 batches 150+lbs. Hammering the little puppy 3 1/2 years nary a hiccup.

USRC roast quality potential is excellent. We are in the shadow of big bad Stumptown and go head to head quality wise no problem.

I would have started with a USRC 5k but that would have made an after burner mandatory in my local. (10lb and over rated capacity required after burner) No regrets starting with the USRC 3k. Mine is not stock but customized with profile control system which also added full variable fan control rather than just baffle control. Also my fan motor was upgraded from then standard 1/4hp to 1/2hp to enable roasting and cooling simultaneously since 3k only has 1 fan motor while 5k 2 fans and motors - one for cooling one for roasting.

Also should a part fail USRC comes with complete parts list, all parts US sourced.

I paid $12,500 for my USRC 3k fall '07. Included $4500 additional for profile control system with auto-dump. No idea what the current pricing is...

John Gibbons said:

I just got contact with diedrich on the IR-2.5. I thought it would be around 6,000...but instead it's like, 9,000. wow. 

I'm thinking about the San Franciscans right now, they are both sexy and and seem look as if they can do a killer job. It seems like not many people use them though, so limited Info. I think I'm going to call them and ask, "Why should I buy YOUR roasters?".

Do all these machines I listed have both bean/drum gauges (I would look, but I'm being lazy and asking you who know). 

Hmm, being lazy. So instead asking for consultant help.

I have three coffeehouses and a wholesale roasting business to run. I spent months and bookoo time researching before I made my roaster purchase decision. Got specs and brochures for all machines interested in sent to me, got referrals of local places using roasters in question to go and see each machine in action.

Shoot $100 via PayPal to order at compasscoffeeroasting.com and I'll answer further questions. That'll buy you an hour of my time, at a BX discounted rate. 

John Gibbons said:

Do all these machines I listed have both bean/drum gauges (I would look, but I'm being lazy and asking you who know). 

There is much more cost involved than the cost of the roaster itself (permitting, gas line, venting material, crating, shipping, install, afterburner if needed) to name a few.

I always post about my san fran 6lb.  I love the roaster and I love Bill and his crew out at Coffee Per inc (he had us fly out and watch ours be built, it was awesome!).  I have yet to post a video of ours in action online, but its a wonderful machine and has never let me down!

John, once again I'll suggest that you try using the discussion search function... here's a link to the forum page main page to get you started. There's a little box near the top of the window with a magnifying glass next to it. You can type in a search term, say "San Franciscan", and see a list of discussions on the topic... including a couple that are very similar to half of your question.

The information gained from this process will enable you to ask better clarifying questions, which is what this community is really great for. As you're discovering, repeatedly asking basic questions that have been discussed over and over will not go well.

Thanks, Sorry, I didn't check that

Brady said:

John, once again I'll suggest that you try using the discussion search function... here's a link to the forum page main page to get you started. There's a little box near the top of the window with a magnifying glass next to it. You can type in a search term, say "San Franciscan", and see a list of discussions on the topic... including a couple that are very similar to half of your question.

The information gained from this process will enable you to ask better clarifying questions, which is what this community is really great for. As you're discovering, repeatedly asking basic questions that have been discussed over and over will not go well.

Thanks for the info. Also, yes I said I was being "lazy", that was a joke. If I have this resource with very experienced people, why not use it. And I just LOVE that none of these companies will pick up the phone or even email me back. 

Mike McGinness said:

Hmm, being lazy. So instead asking for consultant help.

I have three coffeehouses and a wholesale roasting business to run. I spent months and bookoo time researching before I made my roaster purchase decision. Got specs and brochures for all machines interested in sent to me, got referrals of local places using roasters in question to go and see each machine in action.

Shoot $100 via PayPal to order at compasscoffeeroasting.com and I'll answer further questions. That'll buy you an hour of my time, at a BX discounted rate. 

John Gibbons said:

Maybe this long recession has caused all the manufacturers to make major staffing cut backs but I've haven't experienced the same problem. Couple weeks ago I called USRC twice with a question, both times phone answered. Oh well.

When I was researching my purchase 4 years ago was able to contact every one of them you listed plus others and they all sent literature requested, provided referrals so I could check out machines in use in my area etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service