Made well, macchiatos are my favorite... but I've had so many awful ones.  It doesn't help that there's really no standard definition of what a macchiato is.  I basically pull a double ristretto in a 2.25 oz espresso cup, and then fill the rest w/ milk (about .5 oz).  The challenges are:  a) getting such a small qty of milk microfoamed and b) dealing with a wide range of customer notions of what a macchiato actually is, which varies from just a dollop of foam to what I'm currently doing.  Just wondering what everyone else out there is doing?

Views: 2273

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Mine's a 3oz drink, built with a shorter double shot and thicker microfoamed milk. Sometimes a little art, sometimes not. I've heard some refer to this as a "wet" macchiato. I guess that works.

I too find it difficult to properly texture less than 3oz milk. This is the reason we charge the same price for an espresso macchiato as we do for a cappuccino. Your cost ends up being the same. Truth be told, most times that macc is mine, made from the milk I have leftover from a trad. capp.

I don't understand the "dollop of foam" thing. This is the way that I was originally taught as well, but I've never found that approach to make a delicious beverage.
I've always understood the macchiato to be equal parts espresso and creamy, cappucino-style milk. We use 3 oz demis.

In my book, the nonfat macch is heresy, it's hardly an ounce and a half of airy milk, you can take the 12 calories. But that may just be me.

In regards to the caramel macchiato, if i hear it, i explain it. I don't want to waste espresso to prove a point.
It's lacking in the incorporation. It's just sitting there...all sad being apart from its lover...

Brady said:
I don't understand the "dollop of foam" thing. This is the way that I was originally taught as well, but I've never found that approach to make a delicious beverage.
we just do ours like a piccolo latte, a double shot with about 1.5-2 oz. of textured milk.
What's the difference between this and the cortado?
This and Brady's description sounds most delicious to me. In either case, you end up w/ a double shot in a 3 or 3.25 oz beverage. Yah, I can't get into the dollop of foam thing either; I've had it many times and it's always been universally terrible.

I wonder how the Italians would define a macchiato, presuming this is where it got its start.

Good question on the cortado. I used to order those in Spain all the time. Seemed like cafe cortado and cafe con leche over there was about the same... 5-6 oz and w/ espresso crema and more of a flat white top instead of microfoam.

Jared Rutledge said:
we just do ours like a piccolo latte, a double shot with about 1.5-2 oz. of textured milk.

Picture, a thousand words and all that cheese.

Paul Yates said:
What's the difference between this and the cortado?

I've wondered this as well.

I'm pretty sure they are the same darn thing.

I've been told that Cortados have less microfoam. I don't necessarily believe this. And I usually see them served in everything but a demitasse.
Teresa I had the same problem as you did, getting an exact definition was a pain. I asked around at work, the net, everywhere and everyone just gave me the definition of the word. Now this is what I have come up with and gets me in the good graces with those that drink them. I basically just pull a double, no need to pull it ristretto unless want. You might say with more espresso it cuts the room for milk. But the idea as you can read anywhere is for it to be marked with milk. While the shot is pulling steam some half and half to the point that the milk is texturized for a capp. I usually am able to do some rosetta on top with the room given. But in reality just be able to pull a monks head for that marked aspect. Now at the shop I work at many costumers do order that drink that starbucks has misnamed, but we still do get true coffee enthusiast and I have had nothing but good things said about my macchiatos. In reality I have had alot of practice since this is what I drink.
What is the size on those demitasses

Joona Suominen said:

Couple things. The way we do it is with a dollop of milk foam over a double espresso in a 2.5oz cup, making sure that there is a crema ring all the way around the foam. Beautiful presentation, just enough milk to sweeten it a touch. Mike, I believe what you are describing is an antoccino, which is one of my personal favorites. Double ristretto, equal parts velvety steamed milk, perfection.

Khristian Ortiz said:
What is the size on those demitasses

They're 2.5oz/70ml. Standard acf espresso cups.

Joona Suominen said:

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service