Just out of curiosity, if you have a machine at home (and it's likely that most of us do), what's your setup like? Further, what other brew methods do you use? Chemex, Press, Syphon, etc. What's your favorite coffee toy in your kitchen?

Views: 1485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By the way, Mike, you are making me EXTREMELY jealous!

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
Direct plumbed Fiorenzato Bricoletta, (which if you read Malachi's H-B Pro's review confirms what I know, it's capable of exceeding stock Linea in the cup and temp surfing made easy with Eric's digital E61 thermometer) paired with mod'd Rocky (which if you've read the H-B Titan grinder shoot-out you see is capable of matching and even beating a Robur in the cup, though of course not as easily or consistently). Twice in 9 years I've attempted to replace Rocky with a SJ but counter space is just too limited. Bric' comes on 4:30am and goes off 9pm by timer so never any waiting for warm-up, unless I get up WAY early!

While I have numerous press pots, Beehouse pour overs, Royal Versailles Balance vac brewer , Ibrik, moka pots, choreador (peasant Costa Rica coffee sock), blue speckled "cowboy" coffee pot 99% of 'coffee' is pulled with the Bric'.

Favorite? The 14kg plated Versailles makes a beautful table centerpiece (nice cup too when very occasionally used.) But equally favorite for uniqueness is the choreador.
At my house, I've got a La Valentina E-61 type espresso machine, a Linea 2AV, Linea 4EE and an assortment of grinders to go along with them.

But the truth is that I never make espresso at home. Too much mess and I hate to clean. Easier for me to drive to the shop for espresso, if I really must have one.

Since I do a bit of test bed sampling for the shop at home, I've got a nice assortment of brewers to play with for my morning coffee: vac pot, chemex, aeropress, etc. Though what I use most often is a simple Bodum Chambord glass french press, Baratza Virtuoso grinder and a Bodum tabletop hot water pot. Simple, quick and effective. Best of all, with a french press, I can more easily time my morning breakfast so that all the components finish at the same time.
I am not a professional barista but I love espresso and caps. I have recently installed a La Marzocco GS/3 Paddle machine and a Mahlkonig K30 grinder. We also have a Nespresso Citiz Milk (urgh) that we use for travel. While its not anything special it is convenient to have at remote areas. There is a Technivorm coffee maker but it is never used anymore. Occasionally we use our Bodum french press but mostly cappuccinos from the LM are made.
Steve, I dread the day that I may have to do the same thing. Sorry to hear you had to get rid of the Mini, and I hope you get a new grinder soon!

Steve Willingham said:
I've got a modded Silvia and a Maestro. I sold my Mazzer mini a while back when I was strapped for cash. A new grinder is on the way. Not sure what yet though. Outside espresso, I usually just press, but I have an aeropress and vacpot too.
REALLY?! you are not a professional barista but you have a $7500 machine with a $1000 grinder?! Also, a technivorm just sitting there? I would gladly take that off your hands:-)

Robert Bedwell said:
I am not a professional barista but I love espresso and caps. I have recently installed a La Marzocco GS/3 Paddle machine and a Mahlkonig K30 grinder. We also have a Nespresso Citiz Milk (urgh) that we use for travel. While its not anything special it is convenient to have at remote areas. There is a Technivorm coffee maker but it is never used anymore. Occasionally we use our Bodum french press but mostly cappuccinos from the LM are made.
+1 lol

Kevin Ayers said:
REALLY?! you are not a professional barista but you have a $7500 machine with a $1000 grinder?! Also, a technivorm just sitting there? I would gladly take that off your hands:-)

Robert Bedwell said:
Sorry I won't apologize for having the equipment I have and there were no restrictions when I purchased it requiring that you had to be a professional barista. I have no aspirations of being a professional barista but even they had to learn before they became one...right? The equipment doesn't "set there." It gets used throughout the day by both my wife and me. I have worked very hard all my life to be capable of buying what I want and this is one of my favorite purchases.

Jeremy Conley said:
+1 lol

Kevin Ayers said:

Robert Bedwell said:
I have an old style home Pavoni with a lever, and a french press. I don't leave home without my french press coffee.
Not a professional barista, but since I've been getting into roasting my favorite coffee equipment right now is the Behmor 1600 I recently received as a gift from my brother. Brewing wise, my $40 burr grinder (cannot remember the brand) and trusty french press are the norm. Occasionally mix it up and use the moka pot, pour-over, or aeropress.
I wasn't looking for an apology, nor was I trying to attack your skills. I just thought it sounded funny.

Robert Bedwell said:
Sorry I won't apologize for having the equipment I have and there were no restrictions when I purchased it requiring that you had to be a professional barista. I have no aspirations of being a professional barista but even they had to learn before they became one...right? The equipment doesn't "set there." It gets used throughout the day by both my wife and me. I have worked very hard all my life to be capable of buying what I want and this is one of my favorite purchases.

Jeremy Conley said:
+1 lol

Kevin Ayers said:

Robert Bedwell said:
we have the silvia/rocky combo. naked portafilter- steam wand mod/pid is on the 'to do list'. we also have a french press and aero press. we also have our own roasting company, so our beans are pretty fresh- always. its a good thing...
I have an AeroPress, a Chemex, a Yama Siphon, a Baratza Vario, and a Rancilio Silvia. I keep the siphon and Chemex at the Roastery mostly, because I don't really brew alot of coffee at home, since I work at a Roastery, have a hot water tower there, and any coffee I want. But, some weekends I bring the Chemex and Vario home like I've been doing lately with the PT's Beloya #8 and the Dilworth Coffee Brazil Conquista and Eth. Sidamo. My favorite toy, AeroPress. It's so easy to make a good cup of coffee, and since my wife doesn't drink much coffee, she's more a tea gal, AeroPress makes one cup of a coffee at a time, easily, and it cleans up so easily.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service