Yes I know this topic has undoubtably been visited more then a few times, but I'm going to post anyway, so lets visit it once more.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any decent places for barista training within the Great Lakes region? Maybe something that gets into advance barista'ing? And maybe open to all barista's despite who they work for?

I've been exposed to some great training over the past 3 years, but I know I have a lot to learn yet and it seems I've hit a ceiling where I'm at.

So any thoughts?

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There isn't much around here as far as organized schools, we do a lot of in cafe training and start up type stuff. You're only about an hour and a half from us, I'd be willing to let you behind our bar and have you work with our trainer Jenna, if in return you brought back some samples of our coffees for your owner.

Jason
I did a brief stint in Madison, WI and although I never partook, I know the shop I worked for sent baristi to Alterra in Milwaukee for extensive training. They're a great company, super nice folks, and have the infrastructure to really train. It might be worth contacting them.
Not all training is held at schools... some come to you. Ask if there are any trainers that can come to your shop in the Great Lakes region. There are a number of reasonably priced and highly qualified 'mobil' trainers and they can train your whole crew at the same time.
The GLCA just held a regional jam in October that was a good learning event in Chicago. Industry events like that and the upcoming coffeefest/great lakes regional/millrock in feb are great to give you a boost and teach you a few tricks, but to be honest I would Leary of any training program that insinuates it can do a heck of a lot to bump up your skills inside of a day or two. Try to find quality shops that will let you come work bar for a week or two, perhaps head waaay out of town on a coffee road trip stopping at shops with a good rep and asking a lot of questions. Some of the best baristas I know are highly nomadic. Traveling around to learn and taste the diversity of the coffee world is the best education you can get hands down.
I've learned soooo much volunteering at barista competitions. you can start by volunteering and networking with other coffee peeps. If you feel comfortable enough you can sign up to judge and that is also an awesome learning experience, you get to calibrate with other coffee professionals. Even watching the competitors and talking to them, asking them why they use certain techniques is another great way to expand your barista skills.
I recommend Alterra.
This is what I was thinking. Of course, this is what I do, so I guess I would think that.

Not to throw out a self-serving plug, but if you're interested, you can always contact me. If not, then disregard this message.
Denise Smith said:
Not all training is held at schools... some come to you. Ask if there are any trainers that can come to your shop in the Great Lakes region. There are a number of reasonably priced and highly qualified 'mobil' trainers and they can train your whole crew at the same time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service