So I was working at the coffee shop, you know making various beverages and sort of recollecting several conversations I have had with customers over the years and I remembered one particular that needed expounding. I don't want to "over write" this so I will share one event in the hopes of inspiring you all to share yours.
On a particularly touristy day a new face popped into the cafe but this guy was unusually chatty. We're not known to be pretentious barista's who are too cool to morph into character so I engaged with him. When he finally read through the menu out loud he got to the "truffle Mocha" we make with a special ganache and celebrated that request to me almost in song...here's the weird part and maybe where my pride was a little hurt. He came back up to the bar to bestow a compliment, "Wow, this is the best mocha I have ever had! Must be a great machine." Confused, and again just a little hurt I smiled with a "thankyou?" I think back to that and there really is no right way to turn that compliment around. Do I say, "yeah and one good barista too". Does the machine deserve all the credit?
When you go into a great restaurant and the dish is prepared to perfection to you ask for the chef and say, "Wow, great food, you must have one great oven!" or when you mum makes a great pie do you compliment the apples?
I have to say I have never read a restaurant review that credits the equipment for making such innovative dishes.

please share yours,
Sarah

Views: 1705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm working at an espresso bar and there comes a lady who looked at the menu and then asked if I have any liquid drinks?
what other kind are there? I had a hard time not to laugh

Jaanus Savisto said:
When working in a nice fusion-restaurant we had several people wandering in and askind whether we serve any food. As in "no we are a restaurant that only offers drinks", DUH!
I once had a customer sincerely tell me that he was a coffee aficionado and that our espresso was too rich and he did not like the crema. He much preferred the REAL Espresso...The Italian coffee that comes from those PODs!
"Strong, hot, and sharp." I think he mused
...so...
Being Italian myself I promptly offered to break his thumbs.

Bada Boom!

-cd
nice work. lol.

Deferio said:
I once had a customer sincerely tell me that he was a coffee aficionado and that our espresso was too rich and he did not like the crema. He much preferred the REAL Espresso...The Italian coffee that comes from those PODs!
"Strong, hot, and sharp." I think he mused
...so...
Being Italian myself I promptly offered to break his thumbs.

Bada Boom!

-cd
i was in a shop last week and ordered a double shot...
Not a good shot but I've had far worse, ... I politely asked about the spro ,
the barista said it was a dark Italian espresso.

I asked if he knew what the blend of beans in it were or where they came from?

He gave me a sort of confused look and repeated slowly for my benefit.

"It's Italian..."

Deferio said:
"Strong, hot, and sharp." I think he mused ...so... Being Italian myself I promptly offered to break his thumbs.
Bada Boom!

-cd
oh, the starbucks speak... We have ice cream at our cafe, and we make a few blended drinks such as a mocha shake (ice cream, espresso, milk, and flavor) and a frappe (ice cream, ice, espresso, milk, and flavor). I have regular customers whom I greet with "Hello, two caramel frappes?" only to get the response, "yes, two caramel mocha frappachinos. With whipped cream and caramel drizzle." Is it really not obvious that they are not even ordering something on our menu? And is it bad that I only grudgingly put the whip and drizzle on, thinking to myself that it is only according to my mood that they get that option? And the kicker? They don't tip. EVER. Even after telling me I make it the best.
I know this can work both ways... as a coffee/espresso enthusiast... I've walked into a shop that sells their own roasted beans. When the owner saw me looking at their roasts, he asked me if he could help me with any questions. I said "sure, I can't seem to find the roast date". "Oh" he replies and points to a code 2010-01, "It's good until January of 2010".
Oh... and explaining that "half & half" aren't the instructions to using half & half :)

Gabe said:
I know this can work both ways... as a coffee/espresso enthusiast... I've walked into a shop that sells their own roasted beans. When the owner saw me looking at their roasts, he asked me if he could help me with any questions. I said "sure, I can't seem to find the roast date". "Oh" he replies and points to a code 2010-01, "It's good until January of 2010".
this thread has brought the LOLs.

We've definitely encountered the gas-station cappuccino fans. my favorite was last fall when two women ordered them. detecting they might be looking for a sugar-filled drink, my co-barista politely explained what our cappuccinos were, and they insisted they got them -- to go. i made them and watched them take a sip of them outside the cafe. they look disgusted, came back in and claimed what we made them were NOT cappuccinos. oh dear.

and just this morning, a guy ordered a double decaf espresso. i told him i would like to pull a shot first for myself to make sure the decaf was still good, figuring i hadn't pulled one in a bit. he had no problem. after serving him his, he asked if i tried it. i said "oh yeah, i had a test shot before pulling yours." he then preceded to tell me that he wouldn't care if "just sipped his" before i gave it to him to save time. i had no idea what to say except look at him blankly, smile and then laugh.
ugh, the starbucks speak. people would come in all the time asking for a grande latte or whatever... we didn't have silly names for the sizes... just plain old regular *sizes.* so even though i usually knew exactly what they wanted, i'd always make them say it right: "hmm, grande... so did you want the 12, 16, or 20 ounce size?" a cheap way to feel smug, but some days you take what you can get.

Ellen said:
oh, the starbucks speak...
It is always fun for me to respnd, "I'm sorry I don't speak Italian."
"can I have 2 pumps of syrup" to which I reply "I'm sorryy, how much is that."

rothko said:
ugh, the starbucks speak. people would come in all the time asking for a grande latte or whatever... we didn't have silly names for the sizes... just plain old regular *sizes.* so even though i usually knew exactly what they wanted, i'd always make them say it right: "hmm, grande... so did you want the 12, 16, or 20 ounce size?" a cheap way to feel smug, but some days you take what you can get.

Ellen said:
oh, the starbucks speak...
to keep myself safe, I'm making it my quest to never learn how much a "pump" is.
is he still a customer of yours? if he is it would be super funny to take a small sip with the signature "slurp" noise you here at cuppings just to add a little drama.

Kendra said:
this thread has brought the LOLs.

We've definitely encountered the gas-station cappuccino fans. my favorite was last fall when two women ordered them. detecting they might be looking for a sugar-filled drink, my co-barista politely explained what our cappuccinos were, and they insisted they got them -- to go. i made them and watched them take a sip of them outside the cafe. they look disgusted, came back in and claimed what we made them were NOT cappuccinos. oh dear.

and just this morning, a guy ordered a double decaf espresso. i told him i would like to pull a shot first for myself to make sure the decaf was still good, figuring i hadn't pulled one in a bit. he had no problem. after serving him his, he asked if i tried it. i said "oh yeah, i had a test shot before pulling yours." he then preceded to tell me that he wouldn't care if "just sipped his" before i gave it to him to save time. i had no idea what to say except look at him blankly, smile and then laugh.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service