Hey ya'll,

What is the coolest/ most eye-opening coffee experiment that you have done?

For me it was pulling shots of the same coffee on a Synesso with the same dose, so that I could manipulate flavor with just water temperature.

Of course a lot of us have done these experiments, what is you favorite experience?

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dried banana chips, finely ground, in the portafilter. Chocolate Yoohoo in the steam pitcher.
It was.... interesting.
you are crazy!

Ian Shaughnessy said:
Dried banana chips, finely ground, in the portafilter. Chocolate Yoohoo in the steam pitcher.
It was.... interesting.
How did the banana extract??

Ian Shaughnessy said:
It was.... interesting.
Crazy!

I did a lot of crazy extraction experiments. Super ristretto shots pulled for 45 seconds, just getting through mid-extraction, .....

but pulling it on top of a high quality root beer.

Serve. Stir, then drink.

=-)

Lately, I've been experimenting with the Reg Barber C-Ripple tamp with a Radical Pro handle, bottomless LM portafilter and a Paddle La Marzocco (Linea) with teflon steamwands. Sexyness.
The "official" name for that drink is called a Rusted Root Beer.

Alex Negranza said:
Crazy!

I did a lot of crazy extraction experiments. Super ristretto shots pulled for 45 seconds, just getting through mid-extraction, .....

Serve. Stir, then drink.

=-)

Lately, I've been experimenting with the Reg Barber C-Ripple tamp with a Radical Pro handle, bottomless LM portafilter and a Paddle La Marzocco (Linea) with teflon steamwands. Sexyness.
One of my favorites.

Jonathan Jarrow said:

Alex Negranza said:
Crazy!

Serve. Stir, then drink.

=-)

Damn.

Never seen that on a menu before. It's tasty as hell!

So I am curious, how'd the banana thing turn out?

I love stumbling across crazy ideas while training for competition.

Jonathan Jarrow said:
One of my favorites.

Jonathan Jarrow said:

Alex Negranza said:
Crazy!

Serve. Stir, then drink.

=-)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am looking for more scieentific stuff (not that your responses haven't been interesting).
One of the very first things I'd show new hires was I'd make a cup of coffee with the french press, chemex, get some drip- whatever other brew methods were handy that day- and have them try it.
Not too much of an experiment really, but seeing how shocked they'd be about the differences in the coffees was pretty awesome...
Thanks lindsay, that is actually more like the "experiments" I want to hear about.

lindsaytron said:
One of the very first things I'd show new hires was I'd make a cup of coffee with the french press, chemex, get some drip- whatever other brew methods were handy that day- and have them try it.
Not too much of an experiment really, but seeing how shocked they'd be about the differences in the coffees was pretty awesome...
In the lab we have recently dusted off the Flavor Dynamics Tasting Kit. This kit is spendy but pretty fun. Adding specific flavors to coffees and testing our sensory skills. One of the tests we did is to cup a bunch of Brazils and add Peanut, Caramel, and Spice in small amounts.
Interesting, any insight on the results?

Portland Roasting said:
In the lab we have recently dusted off the Flavor Dynamics Tasting Kit. This kit is spendy but pretty fun. Adding specific flavors to coffees and testing our sensory skills. One of the tests we did is to cup a bunch of Brazils and add Peanut, Caramel, and Spice in small amounts.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service