I'm looking for a new tamper.  I've been using the shop's basic rattleware for the last 2 years, another shop's old Reg before that.  Time for something special, no?

Possibilities appear endless.  I have some favorites after playing with a few, but haven't used one in "real life" yet.

I'm curious about the "9th Street Espresso" tamper from EP.  The contour feels great, but I wonder if the unfinished surface gets slippery during use?

Also, what is the story with the Project Black Cat tamper?  Obviously it looks incredible.  It looks like an anodized version of the 9th street handle in some pictures, more like the distressed Compressore in others.  Regardless, it appears to be unavailable.  Anybody have the scoop on this?

Any surface finishes that people find to not work in battle?

Thanks for any help.

Views: 880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just got the Reg C-Ripple tamp for my birthday. It is pretty amazing.
If you liked the Reg get one with delron customized with your initial(s) or a favorite graphic. Personally I doubt I'll ever switch from a Reg. My first ones still in use at home and it's what I supply for use at my cafes ~ both standard and short classic bubinga handled with AC. Haven't tried the C-rip piston yet, need to order one sometime.
I like the 9th St Tamper, and it holds up under heavy use. It's one of those tamps that either works in your hand or it doesn't. The surface lasts pretty well without getting slippery, at least the ones I've ever used.

I think the Black Cat tamper taller than the 9th St models, and my experience is that shape feels very different with 2.5mm difference in height, so make sure you're getting the height that you like. There are real life Black Cat tampers on retail shelves in the Chicago Intellys that I've been in. My guess is that it's a 9th St base, the relevant brass mounting collar, and a custom EP handle.

All that said, I think they use 9th St tamps behind the counter at Intelly still. And they have those largely because wood handled Regs wouldn't hold up. Not that anyone tried all that hard to protect the finish...

Why not powder coat Reg Barber tamps, I don't know. All the Intelly competitor baristas had their own powder coat tamps in all colors...

Your personal tamper can probably be a little less battle tested. You'll treat it nicer since it's your own.
Yeah, a Reg is at the top of the list too... the wood ones are gorgeous. They have powder-coated ones with a variety of pistons at the Counter Culture training center here in Charlotte. Fantastic fit, heft, and balance for me. He also does a black anodized one that looks pretty good.

I'm liking the idea of the C-flat piston... not sure how much difference it really makes for edge channeling, but I'm sure that having the edge eased a little is kinder to counter tops. I'll play around with the different pistons over at CC to see what I prefer.

James, I see that the Espressocraft/9th street tamper is available in 3.25" and 3.5" heights, so perhaps the Project Black Cat one is the taller version? I played with one that was probably the taller "Barismo spec" and didn't love the feel. Then I saw what looked like a shorter straight Espressocraft one in use at a client's bar and found it a better fit. Stubby fingers...

It does need to be tougher. It will go with me to installs and repair jobs, probably traveling around in my tool bag. I will find a cushy travel pouch (maybe a Crown pouch with extra padding :) to protect it, but no cushy bar duty for it... which is another thing that draws me to the metal handled ones.

At this point, I'm probably going to wait another couple of months before committing. I'm planning to be at SERBC next month, then headed to Seattle at the end of March... I think that treks down to Olympia and/or over to Vancouver Island are in order.

Thanks all for the input so far.
I have one answer. Gorilla Tamp. John Gordon's company, I think? It is totally the best tamper I have ever felt or used. Granted, I am a novice, but several old pros felt the same.

The Tamper Review at Safehouse was just the coolest thing. Definitely helped me understand a little better how design makes a difference...
I use the C-Ripple most of the time, and love it. It makes really nice sweet shots... I love the way the Black Cat tamper feels but I haven't tested it enough to give you a fair opinion.... (it's pretty much the sexiest tamper I've held up to this point though)
So could a black cat with a c-ripple piston be the best ever?
Hmm... I can taste the difference.

Jeff Jaworski said:
The C-Ripple is a fad that does absolutely nothing for the shot pull and will fall under the wayside in no time, though I don't wish to be seen here as just talking sh#@$ about Reg's products as they are for the most part awesome and I do own a couple of them. If you're gonna with go a Reg Barber then stick with one of their SS flat or C-flat pistons.

I would suggest purchasing a 9th Street/EPNW hybrid tamper 3.25'' base w/ convex piston if you're using an E-61 brew group. Flat piston for anything else(I screw on a 49mm flat for my Cremina).
reg's are nice indeed, however, these are amazing:

http://www.artazza.com/tampers.php

Cheers,
Jackson
All good thoughts... thanks guys!
Somebody should make an ISO standard about the handle-piston interface. That way, we can all use whatever handle on whatever piston we want.

Puh-leaze.
I have tested it with a great number of different coffees and machines. I have conducted blind tests with myself and other Baristas around the mid-west. I have always gotten the same result. The C-Ripple makes sweeter shots.

Jeff Jaworski said:
The C-Ripple is a fad that does absolutely nothing for the shot pull and will fall under the wayside in no time, though I don't wish to be seen here as just talking sh#@$ about Reg's products as they are for the most part awesome and I do own a couple of them. If you're gonna with go a Reg Barber then stick with one of their SS flat or C-flat pistons.

I would suggest purchasing a 9th Street/EPNW hybrid tamper 3.25'' base w/ convex piston if you're using an E-61 brew group. Flat piston for anything else(I screw on a 49mm flat for my Cremina).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service