So heres the situation, I have become very jealous of other shops that are earth friendly. Yes our shop is doing things such as serving in porcelain and recycling old coffee grounds, I just really feel like theres much more that could be done. Another problem I run into is that I don't own the business so I am looking for ways that I could help the store cut down on waste. Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Around Seattle you can use as large of a recycle container as you like and its all the same price. However if you reduce the size of your trash container it reduces the cost of your pickup. In some areas I know you can reduce the frequency of the pickup as well.

A few shops I have been to use multiple containers for different types of trash. Really recycling forward shops like "Coffee to a Tea with Sugar" in West Seattle even do this in the bathroom with a small sign on the counter explaining what the two trashcans are for.

I think this can be something you can do as an employee as its generally your job to take care of trash anyway. You can also buy additional trash containers for just a few dollars.
Believe it or not, I have found that the many shops are already "green" with the things they are already doing. Look at your mugs - saving paper, your counter - many counters are actually made with recycled garbage, water savers, etc. Where many cafes fail is by actually advertising to their customers that the cafe is green. If your customers don't know about it, then it doesn't matter what you do.
you can ask if you can start getting the things that are wasted to be biodegradable. You can get corn plastics that biodegrade in 80 days for just alittle more than other plastics. YOu can also ask for cups that are biodegradable. MOst people don't realize that paper cups are actually lined with plastic, making them unbiodegradable.
Meijer, walmart, and target are all carrying natural soaps for dishes and such. The pitcher rinser from espressoparts cuts a majority of waste on pitcher rinsing. Though the pitcher rinser costs a bit up front, you can tell your boss that they might save that much in one year on water, making it a great longterm investment.
Try reusing the coffee bags you get in for other things, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service