i think i saw this one already but i cant remember what the deal was...

so whats the general opinion on iced drinks and how to make them?
cold milk or steamed milk? or both? its different everywhere i go. and i also heard some health codes dont allow for the mixing of hot liquids and ice?

am i crazy or does the steamed milk over ice have a kind of dryness going on?

again, sorry for the possible repost...

Views: 6015

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was about a year ago, so I think you can be forgiven for forgetting...

We make our iced drinks with cold milk. It just makes more sense to me. Sure, steamed milk is sweeter, but chilling it over ice waters it down.

That said, microfoamed milk spooned over ice to chill it is very, very nice.

I don't see why the health department would have a problem with this. Lots of stuff is made by heating then cooling potentially hazardous foods. As long as the milk didn't spend too long in the danger zone your drink should be safe.
As I understand it an Iced Cappuccino is made with steamed milk then chilled, an Iced Latte is made with cold milk.

I'm not a fan of using steamed milk to make cold drinks, but that is personal preference.
I work in a coffee house in Denali National Park, AK, and there are always those customers who come in and order an iced cappuccino. You know, the same kind that buy those starbucks iced drinks... and think a cappuccino comes from a gas station machine. So, I politely inform and teach them a little bit about coffee and what a cappuccino/latte/espresso is. So, I agree with Brady, chilling it over ice waters it down. Although the milk is less textured than steamed. I truly believe an iced latte should be: cold milk and shots (syrup, whatever), then ice last and stir. It doesn't make sense to steam milk to cool it in a drink. But in a nutshell: cold milk, ice last.
I love making an iced cappuccino. I steam up a bunch of foam pour in my shots and cold milk (maybe it was cold milk then shots) then put the foam on top. If done right you will have a three layered drink (if you elect not to stir the milk and shots). Which to me is pretty cool.
The three layered effect happens when shots are pulled directly over the cold milk, the other way around would fully incorporate the espresso into the milk due to the velocity or the pouring milk... pulling the shots into a separate container before adding it to the milk has the same result as pouring the milk over the shots unless you are very slow in your pour. At least, that has been my experience.

Timzilla said:
I love making an iced cappuccino. I steam up a bunch of foam pour in my shots and cold milk (maybe it was cold milk then shots) then put the foam on top. If done right you will have a three layered drink (if you elect not to stir the milk and shots). Which to me is pretty cool.
We have one very particular customer that we make an iced cappuccino for...I believe she is also the only customer that we have not been able to talk out of getting an iced cappuccino. Anyway, we essentially make an iced latte for her and then spoon a bunch of really dry foam on top. This irritates me because I then have to dump out the rest of the milk in the pitcher that I used to make the foam since it is useless for anything else. But I guess in the long run it works out because she keeps coming back and is very satisfied...oh well...
well, we make "iced cappuccinos" all the time... but we have a cold frother made by bodum. it works really well, and theyre delicious
I use cold milk in iced drinks i think it's weird waist of time to heat it and then ice it and i worry about shocking the milk which turns it sour.... so a sweet alternative to a iced cappuccino get a martini shaker put your cold milk,ice and espresso in and shake shake shake!! you will have wonderful textured milk with a great mouth feel!
One suggestion, if you've not tried it. Take some smoothly microfoamed milk (150 tops) , spoon a little over ice, swirl it around, and taste it. Then post your thoughts on the matter.

I know my opinion changed the second I did this (which I'd previously thought was a dumb idea).
At our store we steam a little amount of milk to get some foam. We then gently fold it into the espresso shots we've pulled and then pour cold milk over it to cool it before pouring it over ice. The foam creates a richer texture in the drink.
That sounds like the best way to go about it, since I'm totally disgusted by heaping hot foam on top of cold milk. Something about the combination seems like a haven for bacteria growth. Ick!

rochelle hunter said:
well, we make "iced cappuccinos" all the time... but we have a cold frother made by bodum. it works really well, and theyre delicious
I think the best could be cold milk to be added in iced drinks. May be if a customer is interested in some froath from the hot milk, It can be scooped using a spoon to the top of the drink and may be for gurnishing purposes.
But I would recomend strongly cold milk for iced drinks.

Also to keep the drink in it's cold state b'se the steamed milk will melt the ice-cubes very fast making the drink "warm"......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service