Hey guys,

I decided to try some Ethiopian that was roasted fairy light through the 'spro machine and got mixed results. This was roasted for syphon or plunger use and I don't like the outcome of it through the 'spro.

I get a nice coloured extraction and it is pouring well; the problem lies in that when using a naked porter filter, I get some fly away high pressured pin sized leaks. I know my tamping is good, as I get great results with every other blend/origin I use.

I'm using a machine with group head boilers, at a fairly high altitude. I have the temp set at 89C which extracts at around 92C and am using a synesso two shot basket.

I am trying to establish whether it is due to the roast profile, the light roast, the type of bean or all of the above.

I have roasted some more of it darker to see if I get the same result and the start the elimination process, but it will be a day or three before I attempt to use it.

what are your thoughts on this?

Dave

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had a similar problem with Yirgy. What is the bean density like with this particular crop? In my experience with peaberry, and higher density African SO's (Especially Rwanda and Yemen) the lighter the roast the more trouble I have. I'm not sure why. You can tinker but try roasting it a little longer after second crack and see if that does anything. Not to contradict myself but to explore all options, I had a similar problem with a roaster that needed a little TLC. The dirty roaster was making my 'spro look awful and taste like foot. If I were to take a stab I would guess roast though.
The roaster is brand new (500g fluid bed) and has only done about 3kg's, so I doubt it's that. I think it is more to do with the peaberry and the light roast.
I roasted some more last night and took it to just into 2nd crack (about 201c), so I'll let is gas off for a day or two and give it a go.
Let me know how it goes. I may be tinkering with an SO African espresso soon and I may run into this again.

Dave_G said:
The roaster is brand new (500g fluid bed) and has only done about 3kg's, so I doubt it's that. I think it is more to do with the peaberry and the light roast.
I roasted some more last night and took it to just into 2nd crack (about 201c), so I'll let is gas off for a day or two and give it a go.
I have had good luck with African coffees for espresso by running a long, gentle roast development time, usually stopping just before 2nd crack. Getting a good 3.5-4 min. RD time seems to tame the acidity, but still keep some nice fruit in the final cup.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service