i was just doing payroll and found that my barista closed the shop 45 minutes early last week without asking me. I have also looked back and found several other days when she clocked out right at closing, meaning she would have to close early to count the money, etc. I am going to approach her and ask why she closed early; however, it seems like no matter what her answer is, i will probably have to let her go. In my opinion, even if she cut her finger off and had to go to the hospital, it is her responsibility to let me know when she is changing "policy". my issue is I don't think I can trust her. Does this seem harsh?

Views: 420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

easier said than done.

Jared Rutledge said:
i'm completely against the whole "watching your baristas with a camera" thing. that's way too big-brother for me. if you aren't hiring people you can trust, don't hire them in the first place.
Do you recommend a brand, a system, software or a place to get started to setting up a security system that is reasonably priced? I got a quote from ADT that was around $5K which seemed a bit outlandish.

Thanks

David Sierra said:
Best thing I ever did was get a security camera system that allows me to see the whole coffeehouse on the Internet. I have cameras that the Baristas see and cameras they didn't know of (until recently). Security is cool now -- you can have cameras hidden in Exit signs and Stereo speakers! So when they don't think I'm watching, I call them to say Hi, and to "wave to the cameras"! :-D We've also caught shoplifters (of coffee) with the cameras -- and, I can print out the camera images!! A wise investment!!!
You have a right to be upset. She deceived you which means you probably can't trust her. However there is a right and a wrong way to handle it. Treat her as you would want to be treated. Set an example of good management. I would suggest a private conversation with her and review her work. Give her credit for all the things she does right before hitting her with what she has done that is wrong. Give her a warning and ask for a commitment that it won't happen again and get her to sign that she understands. Ask her to please communicate in the future.

If she does it again I would think you have a right to dismiss her.
I completely agree with you! Watching your employees on cameras is just creating an environment of distrust.

As for closing the shop early, since it seem she has done it more then once, she should be let go. You should talk with her in privet and find out why she has been doing it.

Firing your employees in front of all your other employees is also a very bad idea. Besides being very unprofessional (remember this is all about getting people to act professional), it makes everyone, even your good employees, feel like shit. There is also the chance that your customers will see you firing someone -not something you really want them to see. This move will just make you look like a jerk . It all boils down to what type of work environment do you want to create.

Good luck with your shop, Jared. I'm sure you will be a great boss!

Jared Rutledge said:
i'm completely against the whole "watching your baristas with a camera" thing. that's way too big-brother for me. if you aren't hiring people you can trust, don't hire them in the first place.
Stephanie, I've been on both sides, Barista and Manager and no, that is not harsh. If it was once, I could see talking it out(espacially if their a professional Barista that you want to keep. But, if it's happened multiple times and especially if its somebody that just wanted a job & apparently wants to be somewhere other than manning your bar, then even if you were to keep them they aren't going to do anything for your business. Best wishes. Cash c(_)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service